Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Triple Dog Emergency.Need Help within the HOUR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Feb 12, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hi Guys,

I need ya now more than ever...got a 1986 MIJ Fender p-bass..Serial E644278...red sparkle solid paint...before I spend the $350.00 on it, (no case), 2 questions...

1) WHAT KIND OF BODY WOOD DOES IT HAVE...Alder, Ash, Basswood, Poplar...? If it's not alder/ash..no go..I can get a mexican for cheaper...no?

2) Is this a good deal?

Respond....quick Baby...I got only two more hours!!

Klark Kent

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Can't tell you for sure what wood is used. What I can tell you is the Japanese instruments are generally high quality. I'm assuming you can go play it? If so, see how it feels and sounds and don't worry about the wood. The price seems "normal".

3. It's either alder or poplar (I think most ash Fenders have a maple or transparent finish)
    My 60's reissue MIJ Strat has an alder body.

4. consider this if your plans are to strip it and go with a natural finish.

They probably chose to paint that particular body for a reason i.e. the wood isn't all that nice looking.
    Also I don't think thats a particularly good price myself.

5. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well I just bought my first bass guitar!!!!!!!!! I had them pop the neck off to check the wood..ALDER baby, ALDER!!!!! No more practicing on my friends dan electro!!!! I plan on putting a warmoth fretless maple/maple neck on it!!!!!!!

It' so nice!!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help guys, your the best!!!!

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Congratulations! Your first bass is much nicer than mine was (beat-up Guild medium-scale EB3 lookalike).