Triple Pop

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mod, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Mod

Mar 3, 2003
    Looking for a little advice on excersises to increase independance of ring finger over middle finger during triple pops along a single string, can do double pop fine and triple at slower speeds but when I pick up into a faster speed, the motion somehow changes and my middle and ringer finger blur together into a single pop.

Need this to close a quartet (slap, pop, pop, pop) or sextet (down slap, up slap, open hammer, pop, pop, pop)
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    This is something i also would like to know...

*subscribes* :D
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This is where Double thump comes in handy.

Thumb slap down, thumb up, pop, pop

you don't need a triple pop.

but the advice I can give, start slow and build your way up to speed...I have seen players using 4 fingers to pop, and it was amazing, but it took them a LONG time to get the technique under their belts.
  4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    I have to disagree with wrong robot: the triple pop can be useful, eg. in the "sextet" (is that actually the right word?)" example mod gives or when performing techniques similar to adam nitti's flamenco hybrid.

the mistaken android is right however when he advises you to start slowly. there is no real "shortcut" than to practice (preferably with a metronome) steadily.
  5. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah W-Robot is right, use the slap-pop-pop method

if not just use to fingers to pop like

Ipop-Rpop-Ipop-Rpop- same string just pop it like a walking finger.:D :bassist:
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Using four fingers to pop? :eek: That'd take a long time, I can only *pluck* with three fingers and pop with two.

*mysterious voice* It will come...with time.