Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Triple Rectifier! What would you do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Jun 13, 2003.

1. What would your reaction be if your guitarist just told you he purchased a Marshall stack and a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier head?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    It's not looking good is it?

The one good thing about the Rectifiers is that they get their sound from preamp distortion. I would be more worried if he had bought a Hiwatt Custom or a Marshall Major.

You are still in danger of being buried in the mix and suffering from hearing related problems.

Educate him to show restraint on the master and preamp volumes. If he cranks the gain too much it will mush out. Also if he scoops the mids he will lose a bit of power so crank your mids.

Your only other course would be to engineer a situation where his hot valves came into contact with cold beer. I prefer Stella Artois but Bud will serve this purpose.

Good luck you will need it.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Sadly, accidents have been known to happen.

The likelihood of an accident happening to such a piece of gear is proportional to the guitarist's volume level; it is also inversely proportional to the guitarist's levels of taste exercised while playing the instrument.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Any change you can take some of the power tubes out?

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Get him to hold a mic stand while you hit the "Earth Lift" switch on the back of the Mesa?
    (Note.. This works infinitely better if guitarist is not wearing shoes and standing in a pool of beer/water/whatever)

:bassist:

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I believe it's also proportional to the guitarist's strap length.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    As long as he doesn't have any cabs to hook up to - don't worry! :D

8. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH

Ack!!!! Flashbacks!! :eek:

I was allways the one in my old band who used to get electricuted! Actually it was rather intresting because I do alot of lead and back up vocals whenever I'm in a band, yet if I am to close to the mic I start to get zapped. I have to be close to the mic even when I project my voice because I sing bass and baritone and I suffer the same fate many of us do when we send our basses through the PA and some wanna be PA boy decides that bass freq's a bad!

Anyways back on subject.

Cranke the mids baby! Rock bassists have been doin it for years. It'll cut through most din with ease....then again teaching your guitarist restraint will also help as well. Heh... By a Triple Rectifier and a Nice stack of your own with a tweeter that wont die as well as a volume pedal for the Amp and use that cranked for your own distortion and see how he likes that!

:meh:

Now that I think about it...

Me getting electricuted does explain alot.:D

9. You wanna hear the sad thing about all this... I used my Paypal account to pay for it and then he reimbursed me! I have created my own doom. It comes this Tuesday. :bawl:

Jeffrey Marwan Kashou 11/6/86 - 6/17/03 - died at the ripe age of 16. He suffered mass blood loss through ruptured ear drums, believed to be caused by a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier. Kashou's family remains to withold further details on this tragedy.

10. That's nothing.

I have two guitar players in one of my bands.
    One has a Triple Rectifier into a recto 4x12 with a twin reverb for clean.
    The other a Marshall DSL into a marshall 4x12.

No hope here of gear failures either. They both have the same heads as backups. :mad:

Thank god for ear plugs :D

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The trick is, of course, to get a 8- or 12-string bass, guitar stack of your own and a bass stack with say, 2x1000w poweramp going into two 4x12 bass cabs.

Then.. unleash the full tilt sonic spectrum on him! :D

12. Sure, let me just pull out my overflowing wallett.... :p

13. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Fight tubes with tubes. Ideally three times as many.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd tell him don't think because you get a new rig you're gonna go crazy loud cause my amp is 1500W.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm... I would just be happy that my guitarist was getting a nice rig. Maybe you should think more about your own gear than your guitarists gear?

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Tsal beat me to it.

8 string does the trick! My guitarist cowered in fear. Actually he was quite humble, and volume was never a problem, but I found the 8 string really worked well with that particular Mesa setup (especially if you slapped a little distortion on that sucker!)

Maybe your guitarist is enlightened too?

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They're a rare few, and you're lucky to have found one outside of a zoo. ;)

18. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    This, for one (what triple rectifier???)

[​IMG]

And this for two

[​IMG]

Seriously, the guitarist in the band I was in last year had a full Marshall DSL 100 stack -- and a power brake that he used almost all the time:) :) :) !!! He understood the necessity of having all the instruments blending well, and didn't feel the need to overpower everyone else. He got great tone and didn't make everyone's ears bleed. I miss him....

DK

19. ..Owned!

:D :D

20. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL