Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

triple screwed!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by c-ba55, Mar 18, 2002.

1. The last three gigs I've done with my original band, we've gotten screwed at the door. We're not really trying to make money, just let people hear the music, but it's pretty damned annoying that bars will go to the effort of screwing us over the $50 or whatever that we actually earned. I guess it adds up for them, if they can screw a few bands a week.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    What are they doing? Skimming the money from the door? Or just refusing to pay you?

Anyhow, I find that getting paid from the door is a big pain in the ***. Right now, music is the only income I recieve, and I like walking into a bar, knowing how much I'm going to be walking out of it with that night. Also, there are people who will leave when they find out they have to pay a cover charge. (And some who try to just blow off the person collecting the cover and walk into the bar without paying)

3. One underpay and two non-pays. All for really small amounts. I mean, I can see earning a living by screwing people, but not poor people you have to look in the face. That's a whole other level of ill.
    Well Wednesday, we're playing at the Hard Rock Cafe. If they don't act reputably I'll be surprised. I mean, they're a publicly traded corporation audited by a big5 accounting firm. Oh wait a minute.

All 3 used a variation of "Oh, you didn't hear about the clause where....I'm sorry that information didn't get to you, but that's how it is here." Yeah, yeah contracts. At least from now on in the verbal contracts we make, we'll make a point to ask some form of "Is that everything?"

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Never do a paying gig without a written contract.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I'd say never turn up for ANY gig without a contract.

The gigs we've done have been "you get paid £1 for every punter you bring in (counted via band flyers) past 40" or something equally ridiculous. The venue rakes it in from the bar, the band provides entertainment and gets nothing towards travel costs etc...

As for non-payers... we played a gig at the kings head in fulham, london. The 'promoter' put us on 5 mins after some big FA cup match and didnt actually do any promotion!!!!

all the bands played to a pretty much empty room, becasue he hadnt prmoted the gig at all... then he had the nerve to come up to us afterwards abnd say "Sorry I cant pay you guys, but you didnt bring in any punters ya see. I didnt get paid myself, so I cant pay you"

2 points...

1) He was pissed out of his head, undoubtedly on free beer... which counts as being paid in my book.

2) He supposed to be a "promoter" - which as far as i understand it means he is supposed to promote the gig.

In the UK the whole frikkin circuit is geared towards the venue breaking even on a monday or tuesday night and the band virtually paying to play to an empty room... plus the audience are usually 100% apathetic because the promoter hasnt done ANY work to bring in the right, if any, punters.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I used to be in a band where I would get most of the gigs... Well the lead singer/ pianist would get gigs where we wouldn't even get paid.. He would piss me off so much. My old band was about 1 1/2 hours from me so I had to do a lot of traveling.. Oh well. that was old times. don't have to deal with that anymore.

7. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Please excuse my ignorance,

.....What is a punter?

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've never gotten payed at the door actually, at almost all our gigs we set the pay in advance, and get payed afterwards. I've never had a written contract. I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Sweden an oral agreement is just as binding as a written one.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's the same way in Germany (and pretty much everywhere else I guess), but it's way, way harder to proove, e.g. in court.

10. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I guess I've been lucky. Never played bars though, except a week at a ski-resort when i filled in for the violinplayer who turned ill. Didn't get payed, but got to live and eat for free.

11. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    gee im really look foward to my pro music career now :p