Triple Sec is just a good as Gran Marnier

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Boom, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    At it costs $8 a fifth vs $33 a fifth. What was I thinking?
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Many might disagree, and further, they're totally different drinks. Triple Sec and Cointreau are closer than Triple Sec and Grand Marnier.

Grand Marnier is a cognac base.
  3. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    All of them are an Orange tincture.

Alls I know is the Margarita tastes just as good, and $.25 a shot for Triple Sec is better than $1.00 for Gran Marnier. Although, the Centenario is Better than the Miko. I am trying to save a little cash.

Hey, is there another name for Rum Cream. My wife and I went to Jamiaca for our anniversary (5 years). They made a drink there that used Rum Cream. I can not find it in Chicago.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You need to test them side by side. They're not even close. You can't even make a decent Crepes Suzette with Triple Sec.
  5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    By definition Grand Marnier is a Triple Sec, as is Cointreau.

They're all a bit horrible.
  6. hey triple sec isn't that bad, i kinda like it!
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    This man speaks the truth.

8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Triple Sec. EWWWWWWW

If it ain't whiskey (of the Scotch, Irish, Canadian OR American varieties...I ain't picky :D ), vodka, or tequila, I ain't drinkin it!
  9. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    What about Rum?

I'm not talking about drinking Triple Sec straight. That actually makes me gag to think about it. The only alcohol fit for straight drinking, in my opinion, is Bourbon.

I'm talking about using Triple Sec to make Margaritas. Many recipies call for Tequila, Gran Marnier and lime juice or Tequila, Cointreau and lime juice. I assert that buried in the taste of the Tequila and lime juice that Triple Sec is just as good as Gran Marnier.

However, I do not think you can play around with the Tequila part as much. I notice a very large difference with I used Miko or Cuervo instead of Centenario.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I always put triple sec in my margaritas. Love it. You're definitely right about quality of tequila.

brad cook
  11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes, there's no need for Cointreau in Margaritas. Triple Sec works fine. Spend the money on the good tequila. HUGE difference.