1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Triple Wide Trailers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SnoMan, Mar 13, 2008.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    No, I sadly don't own one.

...but WHY DO THEY EXIST!

Please! God! Tell me, WHY!

Cathedral Ceilings! In a Trailer!!!

:atoz:

2. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Dude, even hillbillies need mansions...;)

3. There's a house in town that looks suspiciously like two trailers stacked on top of each other and one on the back...

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Insurance scams. Everyone knows they're magnets for tornadoes, so buy a trailor that doesn't look like one, insure it like it isn't one, then wait for the big one to carry you to Oz, along with a big, fat check. Sneaky hillbillies.

5. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Venture down to southern Louisiana. There really are two- and three-story trailers down there. Quite interesting.

6. Because not everyone is silly enough to pay $500,000 or more for a stick-built home of the same size.

My first two homes were older mobile homes in decent parks. I paid $5K for the first one, $10K for the second one. After three years, I had some money to help with a down payment on a stick-built.

I don't look down on mobile homes or manufactured homes. I just don't want to be the first buyer...since they depreciate, I want to be the buyer 10-15 years later when the value has leveled off.

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I grew up in a trailor. So, I feel I can safely comment on this topic.

8. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    can someone explain what "-wide" means in relation to trailers? (single, double, etc.)

9. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Well, I've never put it into words before, but basically that means how many sections the home comes in.

A single wide can be delivered whole in one trip. A double wide is delivered in two sections and is generally twice the width of a single wide. At the home site the sections are connected and Wah-Lah! Home sweet home.

10. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Hurricane fodder

11. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Ive pondered the wonders that could be unlocked in the south and midwest if I built trailer mansion, complete with old car tire pillars and toilet and bathtub fountains.

12. Wow... doesn't make the person a scumbag or nuthin, geez. Not everyone is "trailer trash" by default.

Way to pigeonhole guys.

13. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Youve obviously never lived in Oklahoma. ;)
    JK of course hahaha...kinda.

14. I hear ya man, but some double-wide trailers and factory built homes around here are nicer than the house I live in....

There are some "modular" drop on site houses that are made ultra-green, cost / energy/ resources efficient, and look pretty darn cool too. Wired did an EXCELLENT article on this a year ago, and it had me convinced it may be the only way to go in the future if persons want to afford houses.... I'd rather one of these than a cheap ass McMansion on a crap plot of land.

15. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    No kidding! Some of the modular houses they're using to rebuild from Katrina are actually really nice.

16. Have you guys SEEN the stackable modular homes they build in Japan? They are premanufactured cubes in metal frames (be it a bedroom, set of stairs, living room) of set dimensions that stack and lock together prefinished / wired / plumbed, and then the finish work on the exterior is completed. They have these houses up in a DAY...completed wired up and move on in. They build the modules on a huge lazy suzan type workstation and after the last station they get forklifted to a truck and the whole house is unloaded and stacked in sequence. It's incredible.

17. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The ultimate Lego set, eh?

18. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005

Actually, it's not the trailer homes that attracts the natural disasters. It's actually a self-righting global force that attempts to ensure the safe path of natural selection for the human race.

When the per capita number of Velvet Elvis/Plastic Jesus exceeds a certain level, nature steps in to correct the problem.

:D

19. Those things are really cool and practical. They are trying to bring the same thing to Vancouver/Whistler as a ramp up for the Olympics in 2010 because there is such a housing shortage for all the people that are moving there to work. I think it is a great idea.

lowsound

20. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    No kidding here. I lived in one. Now have my own home...and miss the single wide dearly. It's where my family began....we all miss it. I may just move back into the pak soon...live there for the free lot rent for a while and discounted everything else then move the house with the saved money onto property of my liking.

This is just one of those threads that just makes me not proud of this forum sometimes.