Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

triplet picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassplayingdan, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you gotta elaborate more. do you mean with your fingers or with a pick...with your thumb:confused:

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Strict alternation is one way-

l1&a2&a3&a4&al etc
    l121212121212l etc
    l212121212121l etc
    Bold = the downbeats(1-2-3-4)

If I were playing octave triplets(like in my Disco daze), I may use-
    l121-121-121-121l
    In this case, The BOLD = the lower pitched string(& the downbeats).

3. with your fingers.. i would elaborate more if i know anything about it. i heard it meantioned in a thread not too long ago.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well, it's not so much about the picking, you just need to know what a triplet is. JimK described it well. The only example I can think of offhand with standout bass triplets is "Toys go winding down" by Primus.

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    One way to play them is using 3 fingers, like steve harriss form Iron Maiden does.

Just start with your ring finger, then midlle then index. Check out this lesson by steve digiorgio from death

http://dsrmusic.com/metaltab/text/guitarLessons/theLessons/sdigiorgioL1.html

Just an extract to give you an idea of its content:
    "Ex. 2 is an example of the "gallop"" using three fingers. Traditionally this is fingered 3-2-1 3-2-1.[​IMG] "

then the follow up lesson: http://dsrmusic.com/metaltab/text/guitarLessons/theLessons/sdigiorgioL2.html

Erk, college bus is here, gotta go sorry!

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i do it a couple ways...the 3-2-1 as cited in the example...a more percussive triplet: thumb down, thumb up, finger pop...and a neat thing that bassmonkeee does that i've been working on. i really don't know how to explain that...it's playing triplets with your first two fingers...2-1-1...sounds odd, but it works