triplet picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassplayingdan, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you gotta elaborate more. do you mean with your fingers or with a pick...with your thumb:confused:
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Strict alternation is one way-

l1&a2&a3&a4&al etc
    l121212121212l etc
    l212121212121l etc
    Bold = the downbeats(1-2-3-4)

If I were playing octave triplets(like in my Disco daze), I may use-
    In this case, The BOLD = the lower pitched string(& the downbeats).
  3. with your fingers.. i would elaborate more if i know anything about it. i heard it meantioned in a thread not too long ago.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well, it's not so much about the picking, you just need to know what a triplet is. JimK described it well. The only example I can think of offhand with standout bass triplets is "Toys go winding down" by Primus.
  5. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    One way to play them is using 3 fingers, like steve harriss form Iron Maiden does.

Just start with your ring finger, then midlle then index. Check out this lesson by steve digiorgio from death

Just an extract to give you an idea of its content:
    "Ex. 2 is an example of the "gallop"" using three fingers. Traditionally this is fingered 3-2-1 3-2-1.[​IMG] "

then the follow up lesson:

Erk, college bus is here, gotta go sorry!
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i do it a couple ways...the 3-2-1 as cited in the example...a more percussive triplet: thumb down, thumb up, finger pop...and a neat thing that bassmonkeee does that i've been working on. i really don't know how to explain's playing triplets with your first two fingers...2-1-1...sounds odd, but it works