Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Triplet Pop Ghost Note Technique...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Ok, on the first few notes of Abraham Laboriel's solo song Let My People he does it (for refference)

http://www.angelfire.com/music/worldpop/MU110/audio/letmypeople.mp3

Exactly how do I do this? Can anyoen make a very, very short video demonstrating it slow then fast (I have dial up) or explain it?

Thanks, Jay Terrien uses it also and I LOVE the sound.

2. Angelfire dislikes the link... open it in a new browser.

Check out this page for video examples on raked pop triplets:

http://www.warwickbass.com/basssurvival101/lesson_6rakedtrip.htm

EDIT: By the way, I love that MP3 you posted. Part of me wants to say he overuses shakes, but they're just so cool... :)

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, you can see Abe do it in a video right here! It's not the same tune, but it's the same technique. You're never gonna' believe how it's done until you see it. The video is 11.3mb's.

http://www.angelfire.com/music/worldpop/MU110/video/abe1.mpg

right click and select "save target as..."

Enjoy!
    Joe

4. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    hi!
    that is actually a technique called strum roll where you release one finger at a time form the thumb (this is case the pinky first. going down to index)

its in his last instructional video in case you have it

5. That explains a lot, thanks for bringing that up... are there any videos on the net depicting that? I'm intrigued. I never messed around with that technique before, and it'd be cool to dabble into flamenco techniques like that.

EDIT: What an idiot I am, a link to a video was just posted. Sorry, guys. :p

6. Oh man dude, that's Abraham Laboriel! I mean, he's AMAZING. Check out his live stuff with Ron Kenoly, it's gospel/praise but even if you don't dig that the bass playing will rock your socks off, I haven't heard much other stuff from him (sadly) yet, but he's a flamingly great bass player man.

7. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    hey man i a big fan of abe. he is my major influence on
    E. bass.
    He will be in Washington state on november for a christian musician summit with his friends.
    He has a current live album with coaliuta, paul jackson and tom brooks (live in switzerland) you can order at
    www.worshipalliance.com (its a jazz album)
    and he has a trio woth tom rainier called 3prime.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    The Ryst,

Hey man, did you see the video at angelfire? What did you think?

Joe

9. I've heard a lot about him. Unfortunately I haven't heard his music myself, which I'm certain I'll dig.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Geoff-
    You may like Live At The Baked Potato 2000 w/ Greg Mathieson, Mike Landau, Abe & Vinnie.
    Abe AND Vinne.

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    BWAHAHA! Look at the end of the video.

[​IMG]

12. Sweeet, I'll see if I can buy a copy.

13. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    You must be making fun of the shirt because that hair is amazing.