Triplets and calluses

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Aug 21, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    i was one the warwick bass 101 thing and there was a bit for slapping triplets. Where you pop the g and d strings one after the other and then slap the e string. I was doing some popping and it was starting to hurt because there was no calluses there. Is there a way to build up calluses quickly?
  2. Skin graft! Usually taken from the thigh where skin is very thick. Only takes a few days to heal.
  3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Seriously though... play until it hurts, then stop for awhile. Repeat. They'll come in time.
  4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Play with your fingers a lot. I guess you could like, rub them on sand paper, or on an edge of something. But playing fingerstyle will build them in all the right places...
  5. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    No!!!! Never rub fingers on sandpaper!

It irritates regular fingers too much!

And it grinds away the callus that you may already have!
  6. You can toughen the skin a bit by rubbing methylated spirits onto them! That'll help the callouses come along, well, that and actually playing too!
  7. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Once upon a time, someone posted something like, "you can build callouse by repeatly punching a bowl of sand, straight out of the ninja handbook", probably poorly quoted, but I follow the concept religiously.;)
  8. Try using a lighter touch. I had a problem with index finger joint pain from popping strings. For about a year I had to use the middle finger exclusively. Now I can use them both again, but keep them very relaxed. Might help prevent blisters too.