1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Triplets Cliff Burton Style

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by progrmr, Oct 11, 2013.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm trying to learn "Battery"...I'm stuck on the intro :) Not the slow part of course.

I cannot get the triplets that kick in when the guitar starts into the main part of the song.

Any tips on how to develop three finger triplet rolls??

2. What I did was go R-M-I and build up speed.
    Of course, thanks to Rock Band and the like, we know that Cliff didn't do the gallops :p

3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Practice.

Start slow and find out what finger pattern is more natural to you. a lot of people do RMI some so IMR. I don't always use a three finger triplet but when I do I use the ring finger as an assist to my 2 finger technique so I do IMIRIM. Its strange but works for me.

4. rayjohnd

rayjohnd

Sep 23, 2013
    Not sure if you are listening to the bass only track but this may help if not.

5. hail

hail

Nov 7, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Do what you're comfortable with, and use a metronome at a slow speed to get the movement down.

For example, I'm more comfortable leading with my middle finger, so I'll run M->I->R. Whatever gets the job done.

The song isn't too fast once you get the motion down, so you can definitely use 2 fingers for the gallops and concentrate on getting those 2 fingers consistent and getting a tight pluck (a la Steve Harris). The Trooper served as a good warm-up for me when I was developing that 'cut through the mix' sound with 2, then 3 fingers.

Otherwise, if you want to work out 3-finger rolls, read anything by Alex Webster. He's a monster at the technique.