Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Triplets on Ride The Lightning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Psyrcle, May 17, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

On the song Ride The Lightning there is a part where you play triplets...yeah what's that. With Cliff's finger technique is that playing one note three times three times. In equation form (a# x 3) x 3.

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    A triplet is three notes in the space of two, that's all there is to it. I don't recall how that song goes, so I can't say how well that applies to Cliff's playing though.

For example, if you normally had one bar of written rock music where the bass keeps a steady stream of, say, eigth notes, then you'd be playing 8 notes per bar (in 4/4 time). If you were to play eighth note triplets instead of eigth notes, you'd be playing 12 notes per bar. You don't have play entire bars as triplets, of course, but that should apply to Ride the Lightning. Reply and say if any of that made sense :)

3. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I don't know if it the pain my crotch is in when I read your name or if it is the lack of musical knowledge but I understood nothing.

Is it just playing faster than the beat is going to get that third note in the space of 2? I will need a more description in dumbed-down terms.

4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Well, in more lay terms, just try clapping your hands 4 times. Then clap your hands 6 times, but within the same span of time as you clapped 4 times. Try to get those 2 extra claps evenly spaced out in the pocket where there once were four, and you're playing triplets. This can be difficult at first without a time reference, like a metronome, or even a quick recording of you clapping 4 times. See if you can 'feel' the difference between the 4 claps and 6 claps, because if you do them in the same space of time, you can think of them as quarter notes, and quarter note triplets, respectively

5. Yes, a triplet is just 3 notes squeezed into the space of 2. Each note is shorter so that they all fit.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If your thinking of the riff I am its not triplets, its 16s with a held 8th on every other beat: 1e&a2-&a3e&a4-&a where you hold for 2 16ths on the 2 and 4.

Or something like that, no triplets in Lightning that I can recall.

7. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

During the solo you play triplets. THANKS GUYZ!!!! I feel the love!