Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tripped and fell off stage

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mlu, Aug 1, 2005.

1. mlu

mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Last week I was playing at a local venue (nothing big) , we were on our third song about half wy throught the set. It was a song were i sing back up, so if i sing back up, i move my pedals up to the mic stand. I was so caught up in sing, and wasnt paying attention to what pedal i was pressing i hit the distortion instead of the delay.

Noticing my mistake, i quickly tired to undo waht i had done,while continue singing. And in doing so i stepped on my cable. Well it would just been an unplugged-myself situation, but since i have a history of doing that, my cable it ducted taped to my bass.

When i stepped on my cable, it pulled the bass, along with me down to the floor. With the me being right by the edge, i fell the stage, an end of the strapp came off, causing the bass to swing and hit an audience member.

At the end of all this, my bass was out of tune and my back wasnt in tune so i just ended up playing secong guitar (using my guitarist's back up)

Alll in all, it wasnt that bad, it was prettuy funny (got a big laugh from the crowd. One of my friends got it on video so even better that i get to see what happending.

2. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    PLEASE!!! Post the video. :D

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    :eek:

Um, there is a better way to secure your cable, mlu. First of all you need to get strap locks for your bass. The Dunlop Straploc will run you $15 tops. Use a cable that has a straight 1/4" plug on one end (this end goest to the amp) and an angled plug at the other, which you plug into the bass. Then loop your cable through the strap. You won't be able to pull out the cable, and makes it less likely that you'll step on the cable in the first place.

I know your story sounds funny...but was the person your bass hit injured? Someone who is injured in this way may actually sue the venue.

Sorry if I'm giving you advice out of turn here, but since your profile has no info in it, I assume by the duct tape deal you're not exactly a pro.

Welcome to TB.

4. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Get that video up here!

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

hope your back is feeling better , gotta be careful about that ...
    speaking from experience , once it's hurt bad ,
    it'll never be the same again .

oh yeah , post the video so we can check it out !

6. Yes.................the stage ended and I kept on walking, on my 2nd ever gig.
    Sadly Ferdinand my fender perished :crying:
    He was unfixable it was like 10 feet, we stripped him and used his kneck. He's buried in the garden :bawl:

7. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    hey craig, do you really need straplocs to do that?

pity about the fall though man. My guitarist fell and hit the head of the bottom neck on his epi Jimmy Page 6/12 at a practise once.. tense times till he inspected it and found no damage...

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    You don't need straplocs to secure the cable, of course. However, threading the cable through the strap makes the already precarious strap-to-bass connection that much more flimsy. Straplocs are an absolute must IMHO.

9. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    If you post the video, you will be famous on this site. Essentially the most famous bass player in the world for one day. I wish I had fallen. :meh:

10. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

+ 1 ...
    :D

11. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Ahh unlucky dude, post the video! it will be classic!

12. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I've never fallen off a stage, but I have fallen through a stage. We were playing a party in someone's backyard and they had rigged up a little foot tall stage for us. The floor of it was just plywood. Well, we were a little drunk and I was hopping up and down and BAM! Right through the floor.

13. mlu

mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas

I have always been meaning to try the loop thing. As for strap locks, i know i need them, and after this experience i will definatley go get some.

The person who got hit, fortunately was one of my good friends,
    so there was no problem there.

You guessed it Craig, i am not a pro. i have been gigging for about three years, and usaully just stand in the back playing, unless i am sing backup.

Next time i am i stop by my friends house, i will be sure to pick up the video.

14. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    straplocks are like $15 insurance. when i bought my mia J, the sales dude threw em right in the case without even asking.

bastard still charged me for them though.

15. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    ...were you playing...

Tom Petty's Free Falling

....at the time? :D

-Growler

16. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    on tour in toledo at a place called headliners. 1st note 1 st song. took a hard stomp at the front edge of the stage...... and wouldnt you know it it was foam padding from the days it didnt have a security barricade. fast foward and foward indeed toward the metal barricad I went. luckily there were enough fans leaning on the barricade to hold me from chipping more of my teeth at a gig! :p
    laugh about it all the time these days.

2002 with tribal traktion
    ist note of believe.

17. captainmax

captainmax

Jul 20, 2005
    i do the loop with my cord whenever i play. its a must. it eliminates the possibility of being unplugged.

18. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I saw The Juliana Theory a few months ago at a local venue. The night after I saw them, they were playing somewhere and it was extremely hot in the venue, and they had to deal with the heat of the lights. There is one song where the singer holds a note for 45 seconds, and he was doing that, passed out, fell backwards off the stage and busted his head open on the concrete floor.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wasn't a rock concert, but when our pastor retired, he mentioned that he had a secret fear that he would someday trip walking up the stairs to get the pulpit.

What did I do as soon as the message was over, and it was time for the band to play the closing song?

Tripped walking up the stairs.

20. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    nice. :)

-jimbo