Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tripplite AC Line Voltage Regulator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've done a search on this subject and I haven't read much info from people using an AC Line voltage regulator:

I've noticed a few clubs I play at have pretty crappy circuits. While the voltage indicator led's on my Furman PL-Plus power conditioner aren't 100% accurate, they show me when a club's line voltage is weak. When the circuit is on the weaker side I notice my Crest CA-9 clips a lot easier and it seems to lack a bit of headroom. I'm freinds with a local soundman and he's going to let me borrow a Tripplite LCR2400 AC line voltage regulator to see if I can notice any improvements. The next time I play this one particular club that gives me the most trouble, I post my findings. Hopefully, the Tripplite will have some positive impact.

Does anyone currently use an AC line voltage regulator on a regular basis? If so, have you noticed any benefits? Is it worth owning one?

Thanks, - Art

2. I have the furman that regulates the voltage, raising low and dropping high. I rarely see much below 105 or so. I run my 1500W power amp off it, so its got a pretty good load. I play in plenty of crappy bars with questionable wiring.

I got it back in the 80's cause I thought it would help. Now that I've got it I don't see much need. Protection from spikes is worthwhile. I use it because its there, has lots of outlets on the back.

I don't think it makes much difference. I always thought it did, but I think I was wrong.

I just ran the numbers in another thread. Say it drops 10% from 110V to 100. Your 1600W amp @4 ohms normally puts out 80V@4 ohms. Now it puts out 72V @4 ohms, which is 1300W. Sounds bad you lost 300W, but 1600/1300 isn't quite even 1db.

I'm not sure I believe it myself, but the numbers don't lie. Maybe I'm missing something.

Randy

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Thanks for the info Randy, On paper, I agree a -1db drop wouldn't be noticeable, but would a drop in voltage rob your amp of headroom? Would the amp clip easier?

Thanks again, -Art

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I started using a voltage regulator many years ago when our guitar player (who was using a regualtor) pointed out the low voltage in several clubs. Mine was made by Sutton Designs, Inc (SDI), but I'm not sure they are in business any more.

jd

5. Yup, that's the 1db I was talking about. Should be hardly noticeable.

Randy