Trippy Stoner Rock...? (Heavy Psychedelic)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ok, when I first heard the term stoner rock, I thought it would be pretty much a modern take on Psychedelic rock, with a heavy twist. Though it's heavy, fuzzed out, and groovy... it's not really floaty/trippy.

In reference to the High on Fire thread, they are a fairly popular stoner rock act, but they are described as Motorhead meets Slayer... neither trippy. Same goes for a lot of modern stoner rock, I bought Leviathan by Mastadon. Cool, heavy, fuzzed out, but not trippy.

A lot of the early Psychedelic music incorperated keys, etc. I dunno, I want to find some stuff that's like, Heavy Iron Butterfly or The Zombies. Closest example I own, Monster Magnet's early stuff. Their new album is like the new breed of "Stoner" which is just classic rock. Even though it's not that heavy, a good example is "See you in hell" off of Powertrip. Keys, floaty, cool. I guess I want to hear some stoner rock with some keys... and dammit more delay on the guitar!!
  2. Ive probaly plugged this band a hundred times on TB , but hell ill do it again.

Probaly the best of the new psychedelic stoner generation : Comets on Fire. will love them. Psychedelic to the assbone! :bassist:

I also want to find more of this type rock, im gonna surf for a while, ill comeback with results

Oh yeah, I havent heard them but Hidden Hand has been described as "trippy prog meets blue cheer stoner rock".
  3. is calling this genre Neo-Psychedelia.

I got a group running that does this type of stuff, why dont you become our number one fan ! :D :D :D
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Comets on Fire will rape you aurally, and you will love it.
  5. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Another vote for Comets on Fire. Delay on guitar? How about echoplex on everything?

Also, if you can find it, check out Fast Stories From Kid Coma by a band called Truly. It came out in the mid 90s and I don't think it's in print any more, but well worth the effort of finding. Really claustrophobic stoned psychedelic sounding stuff. The band featured Hiro Yamamoto, Soundgarden's first bassist.

And I'll mention High Rise and Mainliner - 2 Japanese bands built round bassist Asahito Nanjo. Really loud, heavy freakouts. Again, if you can track down the live album "Durophet" by High Rise, give it a listen. I use it for scaring sound engineers, it's mastered so far into the red. No delay on the guitar though. And no keys.

Finally, I've just dug out Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Trippy as hell!
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Buy the Secret Machines album. It's on my "to buy" list, very cool record. Like Pink Floyd meets Presence-era Zep.

Also, check out Yeti on Stonerrock. They are pretty heavy but they have a lot of "King Crimson on acid"-esque freakouts. They got me dollar for the clips that are on that site, I'll review the album when it gets here.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, Smash, I'd say kake fits the bill, but I'm afraid I'm page's biggest fan. Speaking of, did anything come of your Doom project? Mockingbird I believe? I still have that brief soundclip and it's badass! It sounds like old school doom which I love as opposed to the gothy type doom.

Neo-Psychedelia, that's cool, I thought all these bands would just be buried under the title of stoner. I wonder often what's so stoner about stoner... genres that reference you do drugs don't make sense.

Comets is on my next CD to buy list! Thanks guys.
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Also check out Giants of Science.
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont forget Orange Goblin. I recommend it to the guys that dig Comets on Fire.
    Not so trippy sounding, but a good way to go for someone who finds Comets too weird.
    Similar, but minus the wild effects.

Black Manta and Nebula are also kick ass.

Oh, and since my Bloody Valentine was mentioned here with stone rock I figured I should spam for my new band a bit. We've got some really freaked out stuff in the works and those are two of the biggest influences on the project from both the other songwriter's perspective and mine. Ill let you guys know when we get some recordings available.
  10. tsointsoin

Apr 16, 2004
    What about Ozric Tentacles? Stoner rock is more of an insult than something else, but Ozric is definitly great to trip on.
  11. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    wellwater conspiracy
  12. pick up the old Queens of the Stone Age album Rated's a great buy, and it's not a whole lot of money usually. Spiritualized is a wondeful band in every way, they took more orchestrated approaches on Ladies and Gentleman, We're Floating In Space, and Let It Come Down, but it's all great stuff. Three of those guys formed another band last year or so called Lupin Howe, and they are crazy awesome too. Those are my biggest reccomendations.
  13. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    a couple of recommendations:
    first the obvious: kyuss.
    then: unida, slo burn, nebula, early qotsa, early fu manchu, brant bjork, orange goblin, colourhaze.
  14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ahh stoner rock. A very broad genre IMO. Also one of my favorites. As far as trippy stoner bands I recommend: Queens of the Stone Age (all albums), Kyuss, Isis, Mastodon (not so trippy, just plain amazing), Mouth of the Architect (don't know too much about these guys, but what i heard was great), Sleep, Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin.

Someone else recommended, check out the mp3 jukebox. Free downloads! a great way to check out bands you've never heard.

HIGH ON FIRE and MASTODON are 2 of my favorite bands right now...any recomendations on similar bands?
  15. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    how could I forget Neurosis. Awesome live show with visual effects. Didn't they put out two albums that are supposed to sync-up when played simultaniously?
  16. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yea, I heard some Cult of Luna. Good stuff, definitely reminded me of isis.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Alright, I only know kyuss, QOTSA, and Fu Manchu, and they are examples of Stoner I like, but not why I started this thread. They have Fuzzed out riffs, and a nice slow groove to them, but the reason I wrote Heavy Psychedelic is because they aren't really all that floaty. Because I've discovered what my ideal style of music is, Heavy rhythm with lots of floaty elements overtop, keys, strings, whatever. Kyuss and Fu aren't really all that floaty (well sometimes).
  18. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Oct 12, 2012
    There is a portland band named White Orange that fuses dinosaur junior and kyuss into some kind of amazing space trip. ****ing amazing look tem up.