Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Troll Alert

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've had to delete a couple of stupid troll postings in the past few days...actually the past couple of "middle of the nights", since I'm on late feeding shift with the little chopper. The troll in question is using different names each time, so I can't tell you what user name to look for. Just keep in mind that there is a new troll(s) in the neighborhood, and report any post that looks troll-inspired ASAP. With as little sleep as I've been getting, it bothers my conscience not a whit do delete this crap out of hand.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this side of the board for being a grown up and not behaving like some of the maroons upstairs who can't seem to resist the urge to post political flame thread after political flame thread in Plank OT. Being around adults who are interested in bass playing is what makes the old castle feel like home. Let's keep it that way....please report any post from down here that looks like political flame bait, and I'll hose it down the next time I get to a computer.

Peace everyone, and if you think of it, catch a few extra winks for old DURRL, willya?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    man, the only dufus i've ever seen bigger than bush was clinton.

:D

(runs back to the nuthouse).

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hehehehehe! :p

oooops.... wrong OT! I knew I took a wrong turn at Albuequerque!

I think I will be heading back this way now....

(runs back after JT!)

P@

4. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    get 20,000 people together and youll see that happen

i think you would see it happen on the DB side, if it had as much traffic as "upstairs" but! anyways i dont think i ever posted in this forum ill keep quiet before i end up dead! ;)

(oh yeh! and i think the ppl who start those threads are boring and only looking to get a high reply count on one of their! threads, but! sometimes i do endulge and post a reply :D )

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

It's hard to believe, but I recently came into contact with with a bigger dufus than either of the above on this very forum....but somehow, he seemed to disappear mysteriously and very suddenly sometime this evening. If only the butthead politicians ON BOTH SIDES could meet a similar fate....hey wait - does Washington have an "Ignore List"? I can think of a few hundred people I'd like to put on it.

Ah well, it's a pretty good life anyway. Peace, everybody.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Chris, I've been through the baby thing with all of its long hours and weird odors, so I for one really appreciate your continued vigilance on the troll front. It's one of the main reasons I keep coming back here day after day.

7. Ha! Ditto that here, too. A kid does wonderful things for your outlook. You spend so much time changing diapers that after a while anything that doesn't smell like poop is a good thing.

Except trolls.

8. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    What is considered a troll?:confused:

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm not sure that there is any textbook definition, but in my book a TROLL is someone who either:

1) Posts intentionally inflammatory material in the hopes of starting a giant flame war even though such things are expressly forbidden by both the forum rules and good common sense (Kind of like an internet arsonist); A good example of this is the clown who just got his account disabled upstairs for impersonating Rush Limbaugh and gloating after the recent elections, intentionally inflaming the sensibilities of anyone else on the board who isn't directly related to Ted Nugent.

2) Posts a load of abject bull**** on any subject, again with the hope of causing trouble.

3) Has a grudge against one or more forum members, and uses the board in an attempt to publicly humiliate another member.

But basically, a troll is just any sad ***hole with no life who can think of nothing better to do than try to **** with everybody else. You know, the whole "Misery loves Company" thing.

We do our best to frown on that kind of thing around here.

10. Back when JT asked Chris and me to become moderators of the Dark Side, we both had reservations, owing to the then frequent excursions into DB land by some really slow witted people from ... well, you know.
    We bought the books and manuals, took the courses, wrote the term papers, crammed and took the final exams, and have been moderators for some time now. Thanks to you all, it has been easy, so much so that we once in awhile yearn for a jerk to come in here and wise off so we can all take target practice. The aggregate wit and wisdom when you guys take matters in your own hands is a joy to behold.
    Thanks.

11. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Us Aggregate were taught well. Glad you like us.

12. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Man, I've been cruisin' the BG forum. Makes me feel dirty. Like i need a bath...

:eek:

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    4) Lives under bridges and overpasses and demands payment from anyone wishing to cross.

;) :D

I LOVE THE COOK!

15. Yeah...I know. Those doofi from the "ask a pro forum" need to be taught a lesson.:rolleyes:

16. Well, here I am!! Fresh out of da oven from da BG forum. Okay here goes:
    YoU sTUck Up snOBby DB PlaYeRs! YoU TiNk u bettA DaN Us becAuSE YoU PLay A faNcY INstruMEt?
    WelL WE'RE BETTER THAN YOU, BECAUSE WE PLAY ROCK!! WE'RE ROCKERS and U GuYs ARE WUSSES!

How was that? I gonna start practicing. I mean is that how they do it?:)

17. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have been hanging in the DB forum a little bit lately, becasue I am playing DB now in school, and here, I never need to worry about seeing flame wars or troll attacks. And I also give a hand to Don and Durrl for keeping this place clean.

Sometimes, I do feel that the dark side players are better people then the toybassers, but I then remind myself that it is a very few people who are doing it, not everyone. I am a toybasser myself, so we can't all be bad ;)

sEe? SoM3tiM3s, w3 toyb4$$3rs rn'7 a11 b4d p30pl3. h0n35tly, s0m3 0f u5 r g00d p33ps.

HE ALSO LOVES THE SOCK!

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Is that how who does what?

You gonna start practicing? Good. I gonna believe it when I hear it.

Gentlemen, START YOUR METRONOMES!

19. Hey, Chris. Calm down, I'm just joking man. I was being sarcastic and basically agreeing with you. Be cool.
    I've thought about getting into upright myself because I like the jazzy feeling it has to it. It's a cool instrument.:)

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

A lot of that depends on where you store it.