Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trombone books.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SullyB, Jan 12, 2006.

1. SullyB

SullyB

Nov 22, 2005
    Has anyone else ever practiced with 8th note or 16th note studies for trombone? Jeff Berlin recommended these in an article I read a LONG time ago. If anyone has used these for study, could you recommend a title? I can't find any on Amazon.:help:

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    My jazz instructor at my college is having me work strictly out of Trombone books :)

3. I used to play Jaco stuff on the T-bone. That might be a way to go.

4. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    It depends on the book. To play trombone well there is certain amount of work that has to go into tone production, in other words, you have to do lip slurs and long tones to develop flexibility and endurance in the lips. Most of the etudes that have this as a goal really present little of nothing that would help a BG beyond some reading skills.

Some of the advanced studies go into Tenor Clef and while that might be interesting and certainly an intellectual challenge, there is little writting in Tenor Clef for BG (some for DB).

Some of the truely outstanding trombone literature would be pretty lame performed on a BG. I'm thinking of things like the second movement of the Rimsky-Korsakov concert. A beautiful piece and much needed in the low brass solo rep. but not really useful for BG.

Some of the tonquing etudes are really fantastic for BG and other present some rhythmic challenges that push the BG beyond what is usually needed, so they are very good.

5. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    Ah yess the noble trombone. My first true love :D