1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tronographic Rusty Box | VIDEO

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zwish, Feb 2, 2020.

1. zwish

zwish

Nov 3, 2009
    I've been loving the Rusty Box ever since I picked it up. After a bunch of shootouts with a few other preamp pedals that I also really like: SansAmp VT Bass DI, Darkglass B7K, Aguilar ToneHammer, SansAmp Dug Pinnick DP-3X, and others, I think it suits my sound best. Tracked a record with it recently and it turned out great. I didn't see many demos out there for it, so I went ahead and made one. Thought you folks might dig it! Let me know what you think.

2. Peaveylover

Peaveylover

Dec 6, 2019
    Maybe it was the settings, but the best tone in that video imo was before the pedal was engaged. Seemed like the bottom dropped out and the sound became hollow throughout the whole time the pedal was on.

3. I can’t hear bc I’m listening on my phone, but even a blender would solve that.
    I think anything over the sound of a bare SVT is an improvement. But I like the grind a lot here. I had a Rusty for a short while, as well as a Traynor TS60B.

Excellent demo and tones btw, OP:)

zwish likes this.
  4. zwish

zwish

Nov 3, 2009
    Might just be the listening setup? I have a sub going and the low end increases a fair amount when the pedal is kicked on. In the room, the bottom definitely stays intact. Regardless, thanks for checking it out!

Fuzzbass and FaithNoMan like this.
  5. HungryGhost

HungryGhost

Feb 2, 2020
    If will somebody wants to sells it, then i will take it. In Europe is not too much chance to obtain it.

zwish likes this.
  6. cataract

cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Heck yeah. The Rusty’s been my main tone shaper since they came out- they pair very well with just about any decent amplifier. Here’s a short clip of mine running into the input of a 400RB

7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Does the boost just goose the input gain so you get more grind/drive or does it just up the output volume? You didn’t hit boost with the input gain on Lo, that I saw. And are these still 24V?

cataract likes this.
  8. I see a lot of us love the clank! Awesome tone man. Would kill in a mix.

cataract likes this.
  9. I can’t answer all but the new ones run off 9v

cataract likes this.
  10. cataract

cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    The stock power supply is a wall wart that runs @ 30V but I recently had JohnK mod mine to run @ the standard 9V, which sounds exactly the same but is so much easier to set & forget. The v2 Rusty’s are being made this way. Any new one that you buy from them directly will run @ 9V.

I live for the clank. Still waiting for a reasonably priced Oxford to pop up, wishing I never sold my old one. The solid aluminum bass doesn’t hurt and also pairs well with the Rusty.

FaithNoMan likes this.
  11. Tbh, that was my actual experience with the Rusty Box. I really liked the tone but just couldn't get enough bass out of it and the boost was just too hot.

I thought the vid does a great job demoing the pedal.

I think now I've got a Mooer Radar, I could set up a cab sim with a bass boost and the combination would sound great and be ready to gig or record direct.

Peaveylover likes this.
  12. zwish

zwish

Nov 3, 2009
    They make a 9v version now. I'm using the 24v version with the Voodoo Labs ISO-5 power supply and a voltage doubler cable combining the 12v and 18v outputs for a combined 30v. My version of the Rusty Box has a voltage operation of 24v to 40v so it's in the safe range.

Skillet likes this.
  13. zwish

zwish

Nov 3, 2009
    The Rusty Box boost effects both the drive and output volume. It's a fixed amount but seems to work well for what I go for.

14. HungryGhost

HungryGhost

Feb 2, 2020
    I didn't last long and made purchase. I hope the taxes would't be too high.

Joergen and zwish like this.
  15. Joergen

Joergen

Mar 24, 2020
    Trondheim
    I am considering it too, but I’ll try to wait until it shows up used somewhere. I am in Norway, and the VAT is usually 25% :-(

16. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It’ll work at 18V too (I ran mine that way sometimes), with a little drop in headroom

17. Somanytoys

Somanytoys

Apr 29, 2019
    This is a really great pedal, I bought 2 when they came out, as backups for my TS-50B and TS-25B amps.

There are no problems with a loss of lows, unless you set the pedal or your amp that way. It also makes a bit of difference running it as a pedal, as opposed to using it as an actual preamp, running directly into a power amp.

It was designed to work exactly like a TS-50B, including the hi & low inputs, the boost and the tone stack, to the point that the knobs have the same ranges of control as the knobs on the amp.

I also have the VT-DI and the dUg X3. They’re not at all similar pedals, and each one is great for its application.

18. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    Great video, thanks for doing that!