Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TrooperFarva, killer of strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Feb 18, 2006.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I play at least an hour or 2 a day, every day. But my strings go dead within a week or 2. I've tried Slinkys, Power Slinkys, Lo Riders, Nickel Lo Riders, and Hi Beams. My hands sweat a lot, I think that's what's doing it. When I say go dead, I mean I like the sound of new strings, that 'zing' that they have, and they lose it within a week or 2. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to prolong the 'new string' sound? I know about soaking the strings to get them sounding new again, but I'm talking about having the new string sound longer. Thanks.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    give them a quick wipe with rubbing alcohol when you are done jamming. Just a little dab on a cottonball will do.

3. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    They Say Elixer Nano's last longer although I hear they start out sounding Older:meh:

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    James brings up a good point with the rubbing alcohol - some people simply have more "reactive" sweat and kills string quicker (I'm the opposite - I rarely sweat through my palms and the "new string" sound lasts me months). You also might want to try using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer before playing as well.

I can think of two options in addition to the alcohol wipedown. First would be to stay with your normal schedule of string changes but you less expensive strings/bulk-purchased set to maximize your money-to-usage ratio. A few examples would be D'addario's XL Nickel twin-packs or XL ProSteels, which are my personal favorite strings for fretless (Nickels) and fretted basses (Pro Steels) and a great bargain, or to buy store-branded or bulk strings, although these can be a bit dodgy in terms of quality. Carvin sells rebranded strings and have gotten pretty good reviews.

The second, as mentioned previously, would be to switch to coated strings such Elixer, DR's line, or D'addario's EXP line. The negative is that none of them have the brightness of brand new strings for the simple fact that they're covered in a softer material and that they're significantly more expensive. However, I've heard good things about people with deadening issues like yourself getting great results with these, and that usable string like is dramatically increased (D'addario claims 3-4x longer life). Generally I've heard that EXPs have the closest tone to "normal" strings.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Wash your hands before you play. Use coated strings (Elixer, DR, D Addario and I believe GHS, all make coated strings). Wipe the strings down with alcohol after playing.

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Could the alcohol mess up the fingerboard or the finish?

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it will remove oils and strip waxes. That's why a say just a dab on a cotton ball.