Troubador Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Johnny L, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Have any of you heard of a Troubador bass? I'm A-town riding out hurricane Rita from a safe, spectating distance and played around with one here at Violins Etc.

It's a flatback, fully carved...and it sounds big (o.k. bigger than my plywood LOL)...not extremely deep but it fills up the room and is quite resonant. There's also a hybrid there that sounds good to my ears but flatbacks look super cool what can I say.

I'm taking it back with me to assess the hurricane damage (forecasted minimal for my area thank God and praying for everyone else not so lucky) and will be "test driving" it for a month or so to see if I like it...just wondering what the hell it really is and anyone else's experiences with these basses.

PS it's not hand-applied-oil-with-strange-love finish but that's not a deal breaker for me...just in case this matters to some folks here who like to avoid reflecting the light with one too LOL
  2. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    Hey Johnny,

Nice to have you here, along with all my friends from New Orleans that are "visiting." Members of the staff of Violins Etc. are putting up several "guest" families at our homes presently, but you're always welcome to come by the shop and have cup of coffee and a place to hang out while you're here.

As for the bass in questions, it's actually a Troubador II model. Nobody will be able to comment on it, as we've never had one like it before. (Check other threads here for info on our basses and thier reputation.) It's fully carved, flat back from our Romanian workshop. We had originally ordered the basses in oil varnish, but some signals got crossed and we ended up with nitro instead. They sound and play great, especially for the low bread. Personally, I preffer the laminate back and side/carved top Bianca bass we have in stock, which is cheaper even.

All the best!

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Hello Mark,

All the guys there said nothing but good things about you whenever your name was mentioned LOL

Yeah I've got the flatback with the nitro rocket fuel finish to test. Like I said earlier I liked the hybrid too it also sounded great. Scott came out to talk to me and answer questions and was extremely helpful to me overall it was very nice. He warned me about the nitro finish too but it's not at all a dealbreaker for me. The price is great btw and I'm very happy to work this bass out and see if it's for me. If I change my mind or just get curious I'll swing by again for a Bianca test drive.

God bless you guys for extending your hand out to the hurricane victims and helping out!

PS just checked out your link thanks for digging it up...that's cool David gave a recommendation on y'all
  4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I really liked this bass and bought it...can't keep my hands off it! Also heard you guys sold the hybrid that person really lucked out IMO it was a great sounding bass