Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trouble: Bridge pickup stopped working

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cheeseman, Apr 22, 2004.

1. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a Warwick corvette with an EMG J-set and a Bartolini NTBT onboard preamp. I last used the bass on Tuesday, and when I plugged in today I was getting no output. I had the pickup select knob set to both on, but when I moved the knob forward (clockwise), which up until now I was sure was the neck pickup, I got no response. When I roll it even a little past the midpoint (going counterclockwise), where you feel it bump, the bass comes back on with the neck pickup only. There is a very weak signal (I'm talking barely perceptible) when the knob is set to the midpoint or more forward.

Any suggestions? I already sprayed the pickups and control cavity with canned air.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Don't know that bass or the controls, but I do know you need to know exactly what your controls are doing. A way to find out which pup is working is to drop the volume low and tap lightly on the pup with a small screwdriver, allen wrench, whatever that's metal. Either move the pup select all the way in either direction if two volumes, turn one off.

But it sounds like either the battery is getting low or the bass volume is down and your barely audible signal is the bridge pup - which typically is about 1/3 the volume of the neck pup.

3. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ok, I took it in to the shop where the preamp and pickups were installed. I did have some loose wires connected to the preamp, but the actual problem turned out to be the bridge pickup itself. After they took it out and tried a new one, the signal came back and the blend knob worked as it was supposed to. Then when they put the old one back, it was working again. So the bridge pickup itself was acting up, so they put in a new one since I'm still under warranty and everything is as it should be once again. (I apologize for the way that sentence sounds. :meh: )

And there was much rejoicing. :hyper: