Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trouble Choosing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 87octane_, Aug 8, 2001.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Alright, everyone's probably getting sick of me asking which bass I need to get, because I ask all the freaking time. But the local store doesn't carry the basses I want to try out. So I've narrowed it down to two within my price range and given up on finding a left-handed 5 string of decent quality and low price. Right now, it's between a Fender Hot Rod P-Bass, which is on sale at musicians friend for $549.99, and a Schecter SB-1, which is $450. My question is, which one would be the best for someone wanting a bass that's good for heavy music and growl (If there IS any growl to be found in either)?

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I have exactly the same problem as you. And I am also looking at the same two lefty basses. I may get the hot rod p-bass if I can find a good price in the UK. Mainly because of the tru-body stringing option and ash/alder body. Plus it is American made and would have a better re-sale value.

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Go for the fender and you can string it with 65 85 105 130 and detune it to BEAD like the Sub Bass. Fenders are more reliable and have better resale value, plus they look better (IMO)

4. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I dont know how fender classifies thier "hot" bass, but BASSLINES "hot" pickups always have plenty of low mid growl. I frown apon buying a mail order bass, unless it is a custom. Even with today's quality control (if thats what mexico fender calls it) you may get a dud. The music store here had one G&L 5 string for 2 years. this bass was horrible, but I have heard mostly good things about them especially thier guitars. SO I believe this was a dud, you never know. I suggest trying out the specific bass you plan to take home. I have been lead to believe Schecter is mostly a high end bass company (I could be wrong), so they may be really skimping on a bass of that price

5. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    When your are left-handed, there is rarely a time you can try a bass as lefty basses are few and far between. Schecter make high end and mid-range basses as well. The bass he is talking about is the diamond series, they are the "cheaper" models.

6. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I kinda like the body of the SB-1, the way it kinda looks like an SG. And I figured that with its electronics, I could just dial in the sound I wanted, or close enough. The list price on it was like $650, which is around where a lot of their basses are. So I don't know if they'd be ripping me off or not. I own a Mexican-made Fender Jazz at the moment, and its sound is pretty god awful since it's so metallic and punchy (IMO). But I suppose this problem goes away the more you move up in price range. I want whichever one will get me closest to a deep growl on the lower strings.

7. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Have you considered upgrading your MIM Jazz bass? You could slap on a new bridge, put in some new pickups, and install a J-Retro preamp. I have a lefty Ibanez GSR200 that is really crappy. If I can't find a decent lefty bass, I may upgrade it.

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    the hot rodded p bass has a bridge position J pup that will give ya all the growl you need. :D

9. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    So you seriously think the Hot Rod P-Bass would be the way to go?
    How much would it set me back to upgrade my MIM Jazz Bass? If I did, would it then be comparable to a new bass of higher quality?

10. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
  11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    im sure it would sound just as good, but it wouldnt play as well as a mim p bass. I dont know what kind of upgrades you wanna do to your j bass so you tell me and ill give you an estimate...

if its pups you want, they are around $90 for a set of 2 J-style pickups (most come seperately for $50 each). If you want a bridge, a Badass2 will cost $40. I dont know about upgrading the tuners though.

but IMO, you really should
    Get that Hot Rodded P Bass!!!!!
    MIA fenders are like tanks. They virtually last forever, never go out of tune, have simple good looks, and have a classic tone that never gets old.

I will use subliminal messages if I have to...

hello my name is Gary and i EaT Food Every Now anD thEn. lateR!

:D :D :D :D

12. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I'd like to upgrade pups, bridge, and preamp. That's possible on a passive bass, right? I've only been playing about a year and a half, so I haven't really learned much about that sort of thing yet.

13. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    passive basses dont have preamps. You could get a preamp though, but it would requier a 9v battery or 2. May I suggest the Aguliar (I think thats how you spell it) or the J-retro preamp. Im not sure how much these cost. You should ask in the pickups forum about them.