Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trouble decideing on amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basroil, May 26, 2005.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=bass/s=amps/content/cpd=YZXI/base_pid=480394/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=bass/s=amps/content/cpd=YZXI/base_pid=487149/

Im getting that drive wildfire value pack to start out, but Im gonna need s better amp. (And bass for that matter.) But wich of these should I get. I wont be doing any gigs, but I will be playing with a electric guitar and drums. Im leaning toward the top one, because 10 watts is to quite, and the drive wildfire comes with a 15 watt practice amp.

If 20W isnt much difference from 30W, Ill go for the bottom. But then again a Drive bass might work better on a Drive amp...ah I dont know.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Why are you getting the Drive package? I mean thats some pretty terrible gear you are getting, and even for that price you can find better, such as Yamaha or Ibaniz. As for those amps, its just a difference between bad and worse. Look for something that has about 50-60 watts and a 12 inch speaker.

3. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    if you are just practicing, pretty much anything will "do".. headphone amps, little combos, etc..

if you plan on actually playing gigs, even practicing with a drummer, you will need much more than something like what you are looking at..

i suggest this for a bedroom/recording/inexpensive amp..

SWR LA 10 Combo

i played through one at GC, and was really suprised with the tone, and the overall volume, that it made.. it's a really decent practice amp.. you *could* even use it in a gig situation, miked.. it's tight, punchy..

true, it's double the cost of the Drive-30.. but, it's truly twice the amp for the cost..

and it's really small.. almost jokingly small.. but, no one will be laughing at the tone you get out of it.. ;)

4. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    That is cool! I need to plan on getting that eventually! :D

5. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    why wait?? just save up and get it.. or something useful..

it's better to just get better equipment to begin with.. the tone compels you to play better.. and if you lose interest, it actually has resale value..

you'd be lucky to get 40 bucks for the Drive-30 after a year..

6. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Well, I already haver that ordered, so meh. But, should I get a that Drive 30W right after I get the Drive value pack, then save for that one, or just straight save for that one?