Trouble deciding which Jazz is right for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Feb 17, 2004.

Trouble picking out a jazz

Poll closed Mar 2, 2004.
  1. new geddy lee

10 vote(s)
  2. new MIM j

0 vote(s)
  3. used MIM j

1 vote(s)
  1. I am still trying to decide what I want for a jazz bass. I played my friend's squire jazz bass. It felt horrible, but it sounded almost like what I am looking for. It had the low treble growl clank thing going on, and I love that tone. I was eyeing up the geddy lee, but $630 bucks for me to spend on a bass is a little overboard in my opinion, I have that much money, but im 16 and probaly shouldn't have to spend that kind of money all at once.

Geddy Lee = Yeah, it has all the good stuff, but do I really need that? No, not really, I mean yeah sure if i still had a job, but I dont and im a kid. That neck sure does look awsome though. Too bad no store around here has any. I'd have to mail order only it.

New MIM jazz = It still looks cool and I'd assume it would sound even better and play even better than that squire I tried out. Maybe I can put a BA2 bridge on it over some time. Im not gonna feel like a rich boy playing the local shows. Im keeping things basic cause thats my style.

Used MIM jazz = Heh, how about that... it is only $280 and is in "good condition" Maybe I could get it and replace the pickups with ones that are even better, as well as the BA2bridge after a while? The store might charge alot for that though. Oh boy, I think with the money I saved, I will buy myself a rack mount tuner used for $99

Uhtoh :eek:
  2. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You're hopeless. Get a Stingray.
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Way, way back when I was 16, in the "Dark Times". $600 wasn't unheard of for a nice "off the rack" bass. What's great about buying "new" now, is that if you get a MIA, MIM, or MIJ Jazz, it's probably going to be a better instrument, wood, finish, electric, and build-wise than what you could've bought back in the "Dark Times" (IE: the late 70's).
    Even if you get another brand of Jazz Bass, it's probably going to be pretty nice for $600 dollars, new or slightly used.

Don't sweat the loot, you'll earn more. The tough part is what to choose :eek:.
  4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

make sure you get one that hasn't been out of the box.

everyone i've played that has been hanging on the wall for a while gets crapped on.

oh, you have to mail order. should be ok that way.

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Get the Geddy bass. Believe me, it's amazing how quickly money can show up sometimes. That's the easy part. I'd say get the Geddy or maybe save a bit more and get a used G&L L-2000 or something of that ilk.
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You need serious help. Get a P.