trouble dialing in a good 'metal' tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by (hed)-less, May 16, 2005.

1. hi there, i was wondering if someone could give me some help/advice as how to attain a decent tone.

at gigs my tone is usually sounding alright to my ears through the big Pa, but at band practise im never happy, i use a laney R4 combo (300w + 1x15") which is more than enough to compeat with the guitarists' 2x10" 100w combo. though sadly the amp distorts at high volume, and though we are a death/sludge metal band (Bolt Thrower, Obituary, Benediction, Crowbar,Iron Monkey being main influences) im not fond of the 'distorted' bass sound alot of players use. i avoid using a plec also in favour of my fingers as i like a rounded tone. at home with my small peavey practise amp - i love my sound, rich and warm.

but as soon as i get to band practise i get confused by the graphic Eq and can never get the tone i desire :S (i wish i had a parametric one now!) its either far too bassy and the sound 'farts' or it has too many highs and sounds 'clanky' which id like to avoid too. the sort of sound i want to go for is similar to Steve Digiorgios' from Death on the album Individual Thought Patterns. as i realise Steve played a fretless ill never be able to truly obtain that rich defined yet really low sound - id still like to attempt an alternative. tight low end but with definition (ie, not just a muddy tone). being on a tight budget i cant afford to buy new gear at this point though id still like to try and achieve a good sound. the bass i use is a ibanez btb 406 qm.

i think my main problem is i get very over whelmed by all the different things i can alter for a tone, ie the Eq on the amp and the active one on the bass (im normally used to passive basses, only recently switching to the ibanez Btb).

thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out :)
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what's the peavey have for a speaker?

you may find that adding an extension cab like a 2x10 will alter your tone (just make sure that your combo can power one and that you get one of the appropriate impedance)

check at the top of the forum for a sticky that says "check here 1st......." inside is a link to a good thread on eq.

i'd say start with keeping the eq flat.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Standard response to this question: make a frowny face with your EQ and save for a bigger amp.

Lows sap headroom, keep them at 0 or slightly below. Mids are the most forceful, in your face part of our tone, so you boost them to sound more up front (not TOO much though, over using your EQ will sap headroom too). Highs you place as needed, more for articulation, less for a smoother overall tone.

Not what you wanted to hear but its the truth, 300 watts isn't going to give you the kind of headroom you need to emulate a tone like Steve's, which uses only a slight mid boost and is pretty low heavy, as well as compressed (which makes it sound punchier but saps headroom). He's got a lot more power to play with so he can get away with it.