Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trouble finding good guitar players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, Sep 17, 2000.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Where I live there are about 10 guitar players for every bass player so the trouble is not finding a guitar player, just finding a good one. The person I play the most with has been playing for about 4 years but still knows nothing about theory, scales, modes, or anything. About the only thing he does know about is how to slap about a ton of distortion and volume on and make noise, and the sad thing is he's the best out of all the people my age I've played with. He's also the type that writes a new song every night and thinks he's a prodigy because it takes a band about a year to make a whole album. I'd like to hear if anyone else is having similar troubles with guitar players.

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I know where you're coming from. The only guitar player I knew that was worth playing with was in my high school. He had great technique and actually knew theory. He even went to some Berklee College of Music summer school. But the problem was not in his playing ability, it was in his attention span. I swear, his attention span was about 8 seconds. He would start a song, and then about five bars into it he would just start playing a different riff. He just couldn't play an entire song all the way through. So most of the time we (the rest of the band) would just lay down some groove and the guitar player would solo forever.

I also have trouble finding a good drummer, a good singer, a good keyboard player...

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Isn't it ironic that some of us became bass players because there were too many guitar players around?

I my first band, I was a better guitarist than the rhythm guitar player, but we stuck to the instruments our parents bought us. Suffice to say, the band was very bass-intense.

Will C.:cool:

[Edited by Big Wheel on 09-18-2000 at 08:56 AM]

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    "...some of us became ass players..." Is that pronounced "ace"? :D

Who are todays guitar heroes for young players? Therein may lie the answer to your woes.

Mike

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Duly corrected, MJB.

Will C.:cool: