Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trouble in Pyramid land

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by corinpills, Mar 12, 2002.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I have a big session coming up and, as a treat, I decided to splurge for a set of Pyramid flats. I usually use the Labella James Jamerson set (.55-1.10), but I've recorded on a few basses with Pyramids and they sound nice. The shop I ordered them from said that they were gauged .50 - 1.05 so I figured I'd get the bass set up as well.

Well, I plopped out the big bucks for the buggers, paid for the set up and they were way too light. I had my man check it out and he said that they were gauged .42- .98. Anyway, I had to go get a new set of Labellas and pay him to set my bass back the way it was. This is how you can spend $130 on a string change. Needless to say, I'm not going to be buying anymore pyramids anytime soon. Just a warning so that nobody else who likes big, heavy flats doesn't face the same situation. That's an awful lot of money to end up exactly where I started.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Blame it on the shop, not on Pyramid.
    The shop gave you the wrong info or placed the wrong order.

I'm using Pyramid Pyrasound stainless steel roundwounds for almost a decade and they NEVER let me down. No broken strings, no wrong gauges, etc.

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I would have to agree. Something is fishy. Get the whole story before you make judgments.

4. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Oh, geez, thanks for the helpful advice. Should I look both ways before crossing the street as well? The annoying thing about it, as far as I can tell, is that the Pyramids do not list their gauges on the packaging anywhere. If they did, I would have known that they were too light before going through the whole thing and I would have been able to return them. As it is, I'm stuck with a very expensive and very useless set of strings. I do blame the shop, but it could have been avoided is Pyramid put gauges on their packaging like, oh, everybody else. Do any of you Pyramid users happen to know the gauges of various sets- leaning towards the heavier ones? Do they offer a variety of gauges? I was kind of sold these with the vibe that they offer a long-scale set and a short-scale set.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    LOL, Corinpills. I've never used Pyramids, but I've thought about it, and they do come in several different gauges, with .040-.105 being the most common I've seen. www.juststrings.com has .040-.100 and .040-.105.

Also, if you want to sell those unwanted Pyramids at a decent price, email me.

6. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'd definitely sell them to you. I was just going to put them on my Framus caveman bass at home, but they're brand new, only on my Guild Starfire for about 10 minutes. I paid $65 for them, email me at corinpills@aol.com and make me an offer.