Trouble-shooting- Ibanez GSR200 with Duncan Performer P-Bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by classicalsam, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Hey! I've been having some problems with my bass. Here's what is happening: At seemingly random intervals, all of a sudden loud, nasty popping sounds start coming out of my amp. This has happened now with three different amps, on stage and in the practice studio. I've changed all my cables and everything. At first I assumed it was my pedal (Zoom 607 Bass) but it kept happening even after I plugged straight into the amp. I would just pop by the local music store, but I live in Korea and I can't find an English speaking repairman. I was wondering if this could be from my pickups. I bought the guitar (Ibanez GSR200) used from some kid who'd replaced the stock P-Bass pickup with a Duncan Performer P-Bass pickup. I don't think he really knew what he was doing. I have no idea how to check this out...I've never done anything more technical than changing strings. Help!!
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

in testing pups I just wirenut them together and I'll get that if I don't have good connections. If this is the older 200 you only have 3 pots, no preamp - not much too screw up.

First isolate the pups and see if it's only coming from one of them (you should have 2 volume controls so turn one off at a time and check). If it's only coming from one of them then you just need to check the wiring for that pup. Since the P was jacked with, probability is that's your source and may possibly even be in the pup itself but is more likely in the wiring to it.

If the cords good, it's in the bass or you wouldn't get it through various amps. Also check the cord is snug in the input jack. Jacks are a common source of problem since it's essentially a moving part.

What are you doing in Korea?