1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trouble Staying at the Helm

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Odinbass, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Hello,
    For the first five of my seven years as a bassist I was always one of the 'main guys' in the band. I was generally a contributing songwriter, business manager, website designer, and the overall head honcho (or at least co-honcho). I enjoyed the power I had. The only problem was that every band I was leading turned out to suck and totally fail. For a change, I joined another group in which I was just a bassist and nothing more. That band did well!

I decided to take the back seat for awhile and see what happened. Naturally, the bands I played as a sideman in did much better than any of those I had a managing role in. I'm still hanging in the shadows today but have been getting frustrated.

My current band is promising but all my bandmates are less experienced than me in every way. I feel like I could add a lot to the songwriting but they non-chalantly ignore my ideas. Admittedly, they write good songs on their own but I really want to be part of it. Even in the management end of things they seem to be unwelcoming of my potential contribution. It's somewhat insulting because I feel like a veteran compared to them.

We all started playing music to paid attention to right? I don't want to be that annoymous bassist who could be easily replaced. I want stake in the band. I want to be important!

Anyone relate?

2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    this is a joke right?

3. How is the band actually doing? Do you enjoy the music? Are songs coming together?

You mentioned management...how are things going there? Is the band being run well? If the answer to the above questions are all "Yes", than maybe you're just trying to become another cook in a kitchen that doesn't need one.

You admitted yourself that every band you've led has fallen apart. Maybe it's time to sit back and enjoy the ride, if things are working with your current project. Sometimes butting in when things are working is the worst thing you can do.

4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Yea, I can relate 100%. I could have written that OP myself. Even though I have more than enough experience to do many of the 'band jobs' the other guys (ones who have been in the band longer) do them and have no intention of giving them up. I've asked, but been politely put off.

No worries. It does feel odd though, and there is one other band member that is in the same boat. What I've decided to do is really concentrate on the bass parts and making them as good as possible. I make a point every gig to talk to every band member (there are 9 others) and give them a chance to say whatever in on their mind... friendly conversation or rants... whatever. I figure that part of my money comes from playing and part comes from getting along with others. (I'm a teacher and have better than average people skills)

And its really cool to not have to worry about booking the group or deal with the agent, or finding subs or fixing broken things.