1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trouble w/ achieving a clear low tone.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frank_Lane, May 17, 2011.

1. Frank_Lane

Frank_Lane

Nov 21, 2010
    Hey all first of all thanks for reading my post.

I am starting a new project with a guitarist friend of mine and he wants to play in the tuning D standard. I decided to use my Spector legend custom 5 string for this project but I'm having trouble with a couple of things.

-what tuning should I use?
    I've been messing around with a few different timings and am having fun playing A D G C F. I love the depth but alot of cabs I've tried out lately can't handle the force I'm looking to reproduce. Should I just use BEADG? Theory wise it still makes sense.

-what cab or cabs should I go for?
    I use a pre fender SWR sm400S head. That's 550watts at 4ohm or 400watts at 8ohm. Right now I have a 350watt 8 ohm 15" and a 500watt 8ohm 2x10. Still getting bass farts.

Thanks for your time and expertise TB!

2. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    Get a pair of fEarful 15/6 cabs, a pair of BFM Jack 15 cabs, or a pair of 8Ω Avatar TB153 cabs (4Ω total in parallel). Use your amp's EQ or an EQ pedal to boost the low mids and cut the lowest lows.

3. Frank_Lane

Frank_Lane

Nov 21, 2010
    Awesome suggestion, I'll check into it. Is my tuning ok? Is that a common tuning for metal bassists? I know Dan Briggs of betweent the buried and me plays a 5r tuned down to C# so the tuning I would be using is even lower. Damn gui****s want to play D standard.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    So, now we got tuning that's not ok, tuning that is ok and common tuning for metal?

That's something... :bag:

5. I'd get a couple 410s or a single 810. Brand/manufacturer is up to your ears, but yeah... I've gone the downsizing route and found that I don't get that "huge" sound I want unless I'm running an 810 or at the very least a 2x15. I've not really even found a single 410 that gets me where I want to be, tonewise. :shrug: I'll probably get lambasted for this recommendation, but I've tried a bunch of different cabs & none worked for me as well as my 810.