Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trouble with amp/cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Leopold B., Mar 8, 2002.

1. Leopold B.

Leopold B.

Mar 6, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    Here's the deal, Ampeg SVT2-pro into an SVT410HLF cab. Bass is a 2000 American Fender P-bass deluxe.
    Just got this setup about a week ago, and the problem is that I just can't get a sound I like out of the E-string. Every other string I can get any number of great tones but the E-string I can never get just right, it comes very close sometimes but it always ends up slightly too muddy/distorted or slightly too dull and lifeless. To be honest when playing over guitar and drums it's barely noticeable, but I spent a decent chunk of change (for me) on this setup and I'd really like to get it perfect. Could the problem be the small speakers? The SVT410HLF is supposedly "extended range" for five strings (got three ports at the bottom) so theoretically I shouldn't be having a problem, but realistically I'm not so sure. Another thing is I keep the volume relatively low, could this be causing poor low end performance? Or maybe it's a prob with the bass? Maybe I'm crazy? If anyone has this setup or any advice on how I can get my E-string sounding good like the others I'd love to hear it.
    Thanks!