1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trouble with Bartolini MK1 Preamp in Lakland 5501

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dmq89, Apr 24, 2009.

1. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada
    I'm going to bring this bass in for repair tomorrow, but I thought I'd run this by you guys as well...

My 5501 was working fine yesterday. Today, I plugged it in and my rig started to make a sound like the cabs were blown (like "flappy" speakers).

I figured it might be the battery, so I changed it - no good. So, I plugged in my Squier DAJV, and: no problems with the cabs. Plugged in my other active bass - same thing, no problems.

On a hunch, I plugged the Lakland back in and pulled the preamp bypass. NO PROBLEMS. But, no matter how many times I tried to get it to work with the preamp, no go.

FYI, the electronics are all stock. I have to get the jack changed as it was bent outta shape by a Monster cable, but the bass has been fine other than that since I've owned it (in Feb).

Any ideers as to what the problem might be?

Thanx!!!

2. dmq89

dmq89

Feb 21, 2006
    Selkirk, MB, Canada
    Bump... Anyone?

3. pasco jacorius

pasco jacorius

Jan 4, 2010
    I had this problem with my bass also , but even when the preamp was bypassed (passive mode) it was still doing those sshhhh..pop! kind of noise . I took it at the luthier for repair yesterday ! and now I find myself playing on a cort action bass..a very high action bass, a torment for the fingers and for slap technique !(and I miss the swamp ash oiled body :( )

4. lumerino

lumerino

Jul 24, 2009
    it could be a damage preamp, because the preamp included in this bass is really really cheap it´s only a green tablet with all the circuits printed on it (it´s the same tablet included on the cort artisan series and the ibanez soundgear), not like the expensive barts preamps , but anywhere open the circuit cavity and check all the wires maybe one of them is broken