trouble with borrowed fender bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bbg280, Nov 6, 2005.

1. bbg280

Oct 28, 2005
    Guitar player here,
    I borrowed a Fender Jazz Bass from a friend & now no volume.
    Played it Friday night into a new GK 115 backline I just bought. Every thing was perfect. Saturday morning, same settings, same everthing, no volume. If I put the all the settings on the amp to 10, some volume. Tested the amp with my guitar so no problem there.
    I changed the battery in the bass but no luck.
    I went on Fenders website & the serial # on the neck plate should make it a 1976.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks, bbg
  2. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    If you wiggle the plug in the bass while plucking a note, anything? Like noise or sudden volume change for an instant? How about plucking a note and rapping on the body or pickguard with your knuckles. I was thinking it could be a dirty connection somewhere. If it's a 29 year old bass some corrosion might've set into one of the contacts, or one of the contacts in the output jack might've gotten spread a little too much over the years.

Or maybe a wiper in one of the tone/volume controls finally gave up the ghost.

Also, the little connectors in the battery cap might have spread too, especially the female, 'flower' looking one. It might look like it's on there, but maybe not making good connection. I'm not sure if the battery connector is solidly built in or one of those floating ones on the wires, but it could be a broken (but partly touching) wire in the cap. That's the only parts I can think of that would get stressed by being twisted or moved over and over again.
  3. bbg280

Oct 28, 2005
    Tried wiggling the cord, no change or any kind of static.
    When I say no volume, I should say minimum, like a whisper.
    Just tried a neighbors bass in the amp & it worked fine.
    I will try checking the battery wires.
  4. What about the chord itself?

If the volume is still there, the live could have been hooked to the ground? or the volume pot could be dodgy
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

A 197- Jazz bass wouldn't have a battery or battery connection. I wouldn't dig around too much in someone elses vintage bass.

While I don't think its a big deal, you should be upfront and honest and tell the owner what has happened.
  6. Considering that bbg280 says he's changed out the battery, I would think that this is either a modified bass, or not the year that he thinks...but there IS a battery according to the post.

+1 on the "tell the owner". Maybe it's happened before, (so don't mess with it if you're not sure what you're doing...) and if it's a modification problem, then it's not your problem, it's his and you can relax. Either way, the owner needs to know.
  7. bbg280

Oct 28, 2005
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm only guessing at 1976 because of the plate,
    seems much older.
    I really don't want to digging in this bass either,
    I just feel foolish because it's probably something so obvious.
    I'm seeing the guy this morning,
    I'll let you know what it is.
    thanks again,
  8. Hokay, TBr's; so, when did Fender start using batteries? Or do you think it's been modified? Wish we had pics!
  9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They still don't...on their regular lines of basses or guitars.

If the sn suggests its a 70s then its a mod.
  10.'s a Fender Jazz bass...I have one and it definately has a battery.... "Still don't"? :confused:
  11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Then you certainly don't have one of the regular issue Jazz basses. It's either a 'Deluxe' or other variant, sig model, etc...

The 'mainline' of Fender Jazz & Precision (American standard, Standard, etc) are passive instruments. Don't look for that to change anytime soon on Fender's 'flagship' basses or guitars.
  12. bbg280

Oct 28, 2005
    The guy I borrowed the bass from brought it to his shop, turned out to be a bent input jack. The only sound was passive & low. 10 minutes later its all good & back to normal.
    The bass is a Marcus Miller. It looks just like the 1977 he has on his website with the maple neck.
    I guess that explains the battery & pre-amp.
    Thanks again.
  13. Congrats! Glad is was an easy fix. Thanks for the update.
  14. Hmm. Mines' a MIM Jazz. Must be a "Deluxe". Certainly not a signature model. Anything else it could be, or is it probably a Deluxe?