1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trouble with Chowny

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TClark, Oct 12, 2019.

1. TClark

TClark

Oct 12, 2019
    I hate to post this here but I don’t feel like I have any other choice at this point. I ordered a SWB-1 last March. In May I got an email that was sent to all customers saying there was a bit of a delay. Then, nothing for quite a few months. In August I found out there was more delay because of problems with pickups, ebony, etc. Since then I’ve heard nothing more and gotten no response to my emails asking about the status of my bass. I’ve been really patient because I know it’s a small business and things can be tough. But that’s no excuse for not letting me, or anyone else, I assume, know what’s going on. I have a bad feeling at this point that I’m never going to see that bass or the money I paid up front when I ordered it. I’m interested to know if anyone else on this site is in the same boat.

TheBlueFalcon and Alan Scharrer like this.
  2. Stephen will make sure your bass is up to his standards even if it had to be returned to the builder after their inspection in the UK. I waited slightly over 1 year but believe me it was worth everyday. There are so many variables, many out of his control, but he will not ship it you until it is up to his standards. He posts and responds regularly on this forum so he will likely respond. I feel your pain but he will be good to his word.

canuckshort likes this.
  3. TClark

TClark

Oct 12, 2019
    That’s great to know except...there’s no excuse for not communicating with your customers. Even if it’s not a personal email. Just an update once in a while. If you don’t do this you’re going to alienate all your customers eventually and then, you’re sunk. It’s a really easy thing to do and I really don’t understand not taking the time to do it.

gebass6, scottm and canuckshort like this.
  4. He pretty much is a one man operation with orders far exceeding his initial expectations. He will contact you

canuckshort likes this.
  5. chowny

chowny Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Official Chowny Representative
    Hi Tim.

I'll give you a ring personally when you're awake.

- Stephen

gebass6, B-Mac, TheBlueFalcon and 3 others like this.
  6. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

You just joined TB on Saturday to bash Stephen Chowny? You could have sent him a PM instead. Stephen has explained quite at length some of the issues he's having and not allowing lesser made instruments to come through the factory to the customer and outright rejecting inventory.

Chow Down! Chowny & Retrovibe Bass Club!

FRoss6788 and kodiakblair like this.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I mean, the OP sent some private emails before voicing his concerns on a public forum. He was looking to see if others were having a similar experience so a public post seems appropriate. Was he supposed to join the forum as another means to send private messages that potentially wouldn't get answered as well? I don't think many would consider TB's PMs a priority over email.

I have no dog in the fight, I just hope this all gets resolved amicably. Sometimes a public poke is all it takes to get heard, as this thread has evinced.

AuBassMan, flojob, gln1955 and 8 others like this.
  8. B-Mac

?
    First post to bash
    This OP could have searched TB to easily find at least 3 other threads where Stephen’s problems have already been discussed in detail and what he’s doing to resolve those problems.

kodiakblair likes this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Chowny could have easily responded to his emails instead of making him search a 3rd party site for answers. As a customer, who currently has a (once ongoing) line of contact, I do not want to be getting my updates elsewhere. I think it is unreasonable to think customers should have to look for information outside of the company, especially after they requested the information directly from the company. Additionally, Chowny was not bashed. The OP stated his situation and the lack of contact. There was nothing derogatory about the OP. That is just where the situation is at. Unfortunately, it did take a public post to get some kind of response out the company. Hopefully the two affect parties can strike up a resolution.

10. B-Mac

I couldn’t disagree more. Its boardering on a troll post by someone without a profile just to poo poo Chowny’s business.

I had great dealings with Stephen.

Alan Scharrer and kodiakblair like this.
  11. Emails can wind up in junk mail folders easily enough. If the OP was that concerned the company phone number is top left on their website.

If you were in his shoes what would your course of action be,lift the phone or sign up to a forum ?

B-Mac likes this.
  12. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't see anything derogatory about the OPs post. He's not bashing Chowny at all. Yea, there's a number on the site, but don't know where OP lives - could be problem with international call, time of day, etc. The Chowny website encourages email as main form of contact. If I'm shelling out my hard earned $$ and it's taking months, I'd expect to be kept updated on a regular basis. OP is hanging in there, I'd probably have had my credit card reverse charges after such a long delay without any response.

13. TClark

TClark

Oct 12, 2019
    Okay, everyone, enough of this. I wasn't bashing anyone and I certainly wasn't bashing the product. I'm actually really hoping I can get my hands on the bass I've heard so much about. I'm just really frustrated with no one letting me know what's going on if there's a problem or delay. That's a basic responsibility of anyone who is in business. I shouldn't have to search the internet to find out what the problems are. No, I'm not a troll and I'm sorry I riled some of you up. That's it.

14. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Dude - you are totally in the right here - YOU are the customer!
    I hope it works out for you and you love the bass you finally receive! And welcome to TalkBass! - so sorry you're first post went a bit sideways. Perhaps you can post pictures and review when you do have your NBD!

15. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    Regardless of the issues Chowny may be having with suppliers, and believe me I do understand they could be having major difficulties, I don't see any reason for customers not being kept informed. It doesn't take much to send an email update to all customers with outstanding orders, or in batches based on each product.

I don't see any product or company bashing whatsoever by the OP, only legitimate concerns, so I feel the backlash is pretty harsh. If the OP had come on here saying the company is awful and their customer service is awful and recommending people look elsewhere, I could understand some of the comments.

Hopefully this all turns out fine for everyone, as soon as possible.

16. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    Another thing, I'm sure if the OP wanted to bash a company in the hopes of causing them problems, he would not have used his real name, especially as he would then also be unlikely to ever get his order fulfilled!!

DiabolusInMusic, gebass6 and bhendrix like this.
  17. I don’t blame you at all for being concerned. Someone has your money and goes silent, that would bother me too. TB has sticky threads going for luthiers who have ripped off their customers. Hopefully that’s not the case here.

18. Totally agree with this.

DiabolusInMusic and bhendrix like this.
  19. TClark

TClark

Oct 12, 2019
    Okay, I'm pleased to report that Stephen did call me just now, apologized for the lack of communication, let me know all the problems involved and also told me he has a bass like the one I ordered which was a demo that I can have at a discount. He is sending me pictures and making sure the bass is up to his standards. I understand that he has been swamped with emails and I really appreciate his reaching out to me like this.
    Thank you Stephen!

20. chowny

chowny Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Official Chowny Representative
    Hello all.

As much as I appreciate the support from the posters above, nobody has to leap to my defence. We are late with deliveries. That's a fact. Yes there are complicated and unavoidable reasons why, but if customers feel the need to complain about it - I have to take it on the chin. It's justified.

We're working very hard to catch up with orders (and are for the most part we ARE catching up - we've reduced outstanding orders to about 40 from where it was at 100. That is with new orders coming in all the time) and we are trying to keep everybody informed as much as possible. I'm not suggesting we are always succeeding in this.

The number on the website is set to ring my personal mobile out of office hours. I'm always available unless I'm sleeping. Or mail me on my personal email at stephen@chownybass.com and I'll try deal with your concerns as much as possible.