1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trouble with Craigslist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hammertime3, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Anybody here have trouble getting responses back from Craigslist ads you inquire about? It seems that about half of my inquiries are never answered, and I don't know whether the seller is getting it and just ignoring it, or maybe my inquiry is going to his "junk mail". I can't see any other way to contact the seller when only the criagslist e-mail is listed as the contact...is there one? My questions are quick answer ones, so they don't need a lot of thought.

Thanx...Bob

2. I have found that MANY CL advertisers won't respond due to fear of spam. If they think you're not a real person or a scammer, they just ignore. Which defeats the whole purpose of using CL. So try making yourself as "real sounding" as possible with lots of contact information and local references so they know you're not a Nigerian Prince offering them untold riches if they will only send you a blank check.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have found half of the responses I get in my spam folder.
    Or if you are trying to talk me down in your first e mail it goes in the trash.

4. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    I very seldom inquire about anything more that 100 or so miles away, gas prices being what they are. I always tell them who I am (Bob from Delaware) so that they know the're not getting inquiries from outer space. I made two inquiries Sunday, one on the DC area and one only 20 miles away. The DC guy responded, but the one close by did not. Why adversise on Craigslist if you don't want to be bothered responding? Dealing with possible spam is part of the game...I've had my share. It just seems to be a pain, nothing more.

5. psyoptica

psyoptica

Jan 12, 2012
    Craigslist is just bad news. I've had very similar experiences. If you're looking to buy used gear, you might have better luck with eBay.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't have problems, but I send a specifically worded inquiry that lets them know I'm not just pulling their leg.

"Is your item available?" is an insult that screams spammer.

"I saw your ad for a 1984 Red Widget with Labella strings and am interested. Can you meet me go I can get a look at it?" Is a much more specific response and much more likely to get an answer.

OTOH, it may just be gone already and they're not polite enough to answer.

7. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    FWIW, I did try the guy 20 miles away with another e-mail, giving him my phone number this time. He did call yesterday afternoon, so maybe that's what I need to do from now on. Said he hadn't checked his e-mails until yesterday, but if I wanted to sell something, I'd be checking regularly, wouldn't you?