1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trouble with different scale measurements?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MirageBass, Aug 16, 2007.

1. I'm using a 35" scale Dean Edge fretless sixer, and a 34" Geddy. I've been using the fretless more often now, since I just got it and I'm getting acquainted with it, but, since it's two more strings, one more inch, and fretless, it feels very odd switching between the two. Does this happen to anyone else, or do you eventually get used to both and just have a different mindset for each one?

2. well i dont have this problem, as i am not in this situation, but i can see why you do.

when getting a fretless, i would stick with one that is the same scale as the fretted bass you are switching from. the whole time u practice on the fretted bass, you are building muscle memory. this is what you use when playing on a fretless. sure u still use your eyes to eyeball where your fingers go, but of course its gonna be weird trying to play in-tune on different size basses.

as for the six string part, there are a bunch of threads on here about switching between #s of strings, and that is something that takes adjustment but will come with time and practice.