1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trouble with GK 1001RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mrandrenv, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Mrandrenv

Mrandrenv

Jan 8, 2011
    It's just too hightech for me and I'm a "more is less"-guy so I'm getting rid of it. Got some fellas intrested and are gonna come and test it, but I'm worried about the tone. I just can't for the love of god get a clean tone out of it. I'm running it through GK 410RBH and a 115RBH cabs.

I've tried twisting and turning every knob in all sorts of combinations, but it's always clipping.

As for now I have the settings;

Volyme: About 9
    Contour and Presence: 12ish
    Treble: 10
    High Mid and Low Mid: both at 13ish
    Bass: 13-14ish
    Boost: About 12
    Tweeter: Usually as low as possible, around 8-9
    Woofer: Pretty high, I'm using this as the master control. Wrong?

4-string preset
    -14 db activated. (If not, it just clips instantly)

593438_800.

Playing an active bass. Does it have anything to do with settings behind the cabinets?

As you see, this rig is way to hightech for me hehe ;P

2. It should not be "clipping". Try the cabs one at a time with no boost (7:00). You could have blown the 115?

3. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Sounds likethe infamous "send/return needs cleaned" to me.
    Try running an instrument cable between the send and return jacks and see if that cures the problem. If so, clean the jacks with Deoxit or something similar.

My 1001RB II got really raspy/distorted sounding a few months ago and cleaning the send/return jacks cleared it up. I cleaned all of the pots and jacks while I was at it.

Good luck.

4. Good call Bill ;) Hoping someone would bring this up ;) (hate sounding like a broken record). :)

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it should be perfectly clean. i'd check the battery in your active bass first.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    All good info. So recap, step 1- new battery in the bass, 2- patch cable from fx send to fx return, 3- take the 15 out, 4- set all eq controls to straight up noon, boost below noon, and start over.

7. Mrandrenv

Mrandrenv

Jan 8, 2011
    Really? Ok, so I just plug an instrument cable from send to return while playing as usual in the input jack?

If the 115 cab is blown out, is there any way for me to find out for sure, or do I just have to turn it in and see if they can locate the problem?

(I switch battery in the bass always between gigs, so thats excluded) :)

8. Exactly.

If you use one cab at a time you will know if the 115 (or 410) has been damaged. :)

9. Instead of taking the 15 out and playing the 410, take the 410 out and play the 15. Then you'll REALLY be able to tell if the 15 is blown or not. Do the same with the 410 to see if that's blown...maybe they're both blown?

10. Mrandrenv

Mrandrenv

Jan 8, 2011
    Great, I'll try this tomorrow :)

One more thing, does it matter which jack I use for the cabs in the backside of the head? Ex. right jack for 115 or vice versa?

593453_800.

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    nope. they're wired in parallel

12. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I wonder if you can test a cab with an ohm meter, but by putting a cable in the jack? The use the ohm meter to tip and jacket of the other end of the cable, should measure 8 ohms (Assuming your cable is not broken). Would this work?

13. Not really as you would be reading the DCR of the speakers, not the impedance. If you knew the DCR (usually a lower number than the AC impedance) it might give a clue, but not reliably.:)

14. I got rid of mine because it was too clean for my tastes. I was using it in the bi-amp mode with a GK 212Neo. You're not using the speaker cord that came with it are you? I think that's for bi-amping only.

15. Try in order from left to right....

12 12 2 10 11 1 10 2 1 11

16. This is a great amp, and it is certainly capable of clean sounds.