Trouble with GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rojo412, Dec 10, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have a GK 1001 RB bass head. It blew out not too long ago, which made me angry, but it was under warranty... no biggie.

Got it back, played it for 30 mins. and what do you know? It's dead again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Has anyone else had this happen? Also, how many times do I send it back before I can expect a new unit? I like this one, but not if it's gonna keep costing me $30 to send it to CA (from OH).

When I bought this, I asked people what the most reliable bass amps were... what doesn't fail ever... and I heard GK. But now, I don't know if that's true.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had that same problem with a GK 2000RB head. I just waited until I got it back working, then sold it before it had a chance to blow up again. Made it clear to the buyer that it had been warranty serviced (to be fair).

Oh, and then I stopped buying GK gear . . . not because I needed warranty work, but because it took them over 6 months to get it back to me, and even then after MUCH begging, broken promises as to shipping dates, etc. etc.
  3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I had a 400RB III that gave me no problems whatsoever.
    I have a MB-150S that performs and sounds beautifully. So I can't comment except the following:
    I wanted to reach G-K for some info on rack ears, etc. Even the OPERATOR was voice mail-I think that sucks- I did eventually speak to someone who was very cool and helpful, etc, but I can certainly imagine if I had a problem with my gear, I would be ballistic about the failiure to communicate.
    One would think that it would be well-worth hiring even a part-timer to answer phones if not a FULL-TIME full bore CSR to hang on the job!! What's up with that Mr. Bobby G??
    Now I know that Trip has been very cool about appearing on TB and I believe that he is totally committed to G-K's prominence in the industry.
    I Like the gear ALOT, I think that Mr. Gallien has made a tremendous mark on the bass gear industry, but it is most important to have excellent customer service.
    Mesa, on the other hand is unbelievably cool- Ernie Ball MM- they will show you the factory if you want, and I recently spoke with Gibson regarding a Tobias bass I purchased. Even though the Renegade is no longer part & parcel of their current product line, they gave me exactly what I needed!
    So, Tripper- Do your best, sir! It IS important!
  4. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip here! Send me some info on the PM system and I can help you out. I'll bet I know what's wrong with it. It's an easy fix too. Fear not. Sorry about your blow out. I have been using my 1001 proto since 1999 no issues at all. The 2000 had a problem with the switches in the back going out and thus causing the amps to shut down and do intermittent noises as well. Those can be easily fixed. You can always call the factory and dial ext.127 and talk to Alvin the head tech. He's quite a knowledgeable guy. Again, send me a PM with your info and we can work this all out.:)