Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trouble With Hands/Fingers Getting Cold The Longer I Play

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by invisiman, Nov 5, 2004.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I've come a cross a rather unfortnate and annoying problem for me, because as my band is warming up while they play they become able to play more difficult stuff as our night progresses, and the opposite is happening to me. I can start playing bass with my hands warm, but once I'm done(hour or two later) they are damn near as cold as ice.

Any ideas of what I should do? :help:

2. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Talk to your doctor, soon. No joke.
    You don't have to check in at the ER or anything, but if you don't have regularly scheduled visits or an annual physical, start now and bring up the issue

I have a somewhat similar situation that is not bad and I haven't got a diagnosis yet, but my doc is going to run some tests. In my case it may be a circulation related thing, but in other cases it may be related to physical stress or arthritis.

In any case, take steps on it now because there’s a good chance you can set things right pretty easily.

John

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I intend on seeing my doctor soon, I just needed a little encouragment :p Also it's just come to my attention that my hands have a tendency to flucuate in tempererature randomly. Does anyone have any ides, or leads that I can take to my doctor?

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Sounds like you're losing circulation (blood flow) in your hands and arms. Try and get your cardio up. Dancing and moving around will help. Not always easy when playing an instrument.

5. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Do you maybe think low blood pressure could be causing it? Or would it be more likely that poor blood flow to my hands is the problem?

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    If you're talking about blood pressure, I'd see a doctor.

Do play any sport?

7. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    When I play my pinky finger on my right hand goes kinda cold after awhile. But hat isn't a problem for me as it's not doing anything except when I start to tap.
    But your saying your fretting hand goes cold? Do you use all your fingers or get lazy and use just your index (bad idea)?
    See a doctor and maybe try a different playing position.

8. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    also check your posture.. its happened to me more than once that while playing i'll rest my right arm heavily on the "forearm" contour of the bass body.. this starts causes a cut in blood flow to the hand.. also if you bend your fretting hand wrist too much it might be affecting it...

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Stop smoking.

10. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I don't play any sports or smoke. I find that it's my plucking hand that is going cold, even all 3 fingers while playing intense songs.

I will try to remember to keep my arm off the contour a little more, and see if that helps. Thanls for all the help guys.

11. shwan81

shwan81

Feb 19, 2004
    i totally understand you invisiman. i was gonna post up this same topic. i was wondering if anyone else experiences this. my hands get ice cold when i play. you would think that they should warm up as you play, since you are using those muscles and stuff. sometimes they gradually get colder as i play, sometimes they're just always cold. it happens in both my hands.

12. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I have a very similar problem. It was identified by my doctor as Renaud's Syndrome. It's nothing too serious (unless you play an instrument with your hands (grrrr). Do a Google search.
    The suggestions that I've heard are 1. Stop smoking (duh), Cut wayyyy back on the caffiene :crying: & 3. move to a warmer climate :hyper: .
    That's about all you can do. I'm also using the supplement Ginko Biloba. That is supposed to help the problem a little bit (plus it should help my memory.....if I could just remember to take them ;)
    Good luck!

13. From my experience, if the bass is cold, it will stay cold unless actually warmed. I know it sounds weird, but basses can retain heat or cold and stay warm or cool. With both my electric and stand-up, I usually press each cheek against different areas of the strings to warm them up.

I agree that the left hand heats up faster and that, unless the room you are in is moderately warm, your right hand will atleast not heat up if not get colder.

14. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    It's written Raynaud's Syndrome (or Raynaud's Phenomenon)
    I bet I have it in my feet and ears. You actually CAN get a surgery (go here).
    Or this could be because your blood vessels are ver close to your skin (no fat between them and your skin) and your blood cools before it get's there.
    You shouldn't worry about it unless it gets painful or really hampers your ability to play bass. I suggest warming up your hand with a heat pack before you play and whenever you hands get too cold.

15. wrenchy

wrenchy

Nov 26, 2003
    Moose Jaw, Canada
    You'd think a guy would get used to being cold around here, eh? :)

16. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Holy crap!! :eek: Another Moose Jawer :eek: And yes, I find it weird I'm not used to the cold either... I think it's because I spend most of my time inside playing bass :p

17. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    with low blood pressure and a hyperextendable set of thumbs i guarantee you they get freakishly cold. once i stop playing they can warm up again- its no big deal. they never go numb or anything.