Trouble with Ibanez BTB 405Q

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Licketysplit, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    I got this bass as a present not too long ago, but I'm really not liking its tone and playability. First of all, I can't really get a decent slap tone out of it, this could also be due to my amp which is Ampeg, not the best funk amp out there. However, my ESP LTD plays just fine through the amp and gets an awesome tone. Any suggestions on getting a better tone out of the Ibanez?

Seecondly, I really don't like the action on the bass, it is really difficult (IMO) to do any type of technical work on it like tapping and "lightning fast" runs for when the occasion calls for a bass solo. I've had it adjusted before but the action still seems way to high to do any decent technical things on it. For anyone who owns one, have you gotten the action lowered to the point where tapping becomes a breeze?

Thirdly, in an earlier post I mentioned picking up a Spector. Now as you guys can tell I am into the new, modern, crisp clean tones, would it be a good idea to swap the Ibanez for the Spector?

Thanks in advance for any posts and comments! :D
  2. MoonBass17

MoonBass17 Wooleyburger

Oct 18, 2012
    Topanga, Ca
    I have a BTB 405 also. I have had it for ~10 years I think.. as my main 5 string. I also find it hard to play and I am not exactly sure if there is a fix. I also have an MTD 5 string now, and I love the way that plays… fast and light. I have been going in to Guitar Center and playing the BTB675. It is freakin' awesome. On a par with my Tobias IMHO… fast neck.
    Instead of giving up on my 405, I am in the process of revitalizing it. I first sanded the lacquer off the back of the neck and that felt a lot better already. I've now disassembled it and I am refinishing it and putting new pick ups in it… Nordstrand Big Singles. I will have to get back to you in a couple of weeks but I am sure this is going to breathe new life into her.

I'm a newbie here. I just realized that post was from a million years ago. I feel pretty lame now. OK bye ...