Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trouble with muted slaps

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Blunk, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Hey,

I've been trying to improve my slap technique. I've been slapping scales and some punk songs that have no slap...anyhow...

I'm having trouble with muted slaps, like when you slap one note then slap a mute after it for the rhythm effect...i've been trying to remedy it by playing scales but mute slapping every second note...still having trouble with it.

Also, when do i mute slap it sounds bad, more like a missed slapped note - i'm probably not muting properly.

I'm not giving up on it, but if anyone has a tips or practice techniques i really appreciate them! :)

2. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    How are you muting it? My concept on this would be to mute with the left hand (definitely on the E or A string ) to create the muted note, while using normal slapping technique with the right hand. You don't want a pitch associated with the "x" note, so the lower the better as far as where you place your left hand to create the "x" note.

3. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    thanks for the information,

when i mute i place my four fingers over the string(s) and slap. It could just be my bass, its a p-bass and i heard they are not the greatest for slapping.

i'm meeting a friend tomorrow for a jam, he's got a jazz bass so i'm going to try that out and see.

who knows!

4. Darkslide

Darkslide

Sep 28, 2002
    I have met a few people who ask about the same problem, and most of them want the repeated musted slap sounds that people like Flea and Claypool get. What most don't seem to realize is that a LOT of muted slap is done with the left (Fretting) hand.

Mute all 4 (5,6, whatever) strings with the index finger of your fretting hand, making sure not to push down too hard (This may be one of the reasons your mutes sound bad?) and slap the strings with your pinky, ring and middle fingers to get a percussive sound. Alternate between muted slaps with both hands. To get a reall good slap workout, I suggest buying...(Dramatic Pause) a basSic drumming book. The hand work in them is really good for slapping. Try these patterns with your muted slaps.

R = Righthand Mute
    L = Lefthand Mute (Duh :))

RLRLRLRL
    RRLLRRLLRRLL
    RLLRLLRLLRLL
    LRRLRRLRRLRR
    LRLLRLRR
    RLRRLRLL

And so on.

Hope that helps

5. Darkslide

Darkslide

Sep 28, 2002
    I forgot to ask/mention... Where are you slapping when you are slapping the strings? In my opinion, the best place to get the best sound while slapping is right over the last few frets of your fretboard.

Hook your finger on your G-String (Or whatever your highest string is) and slide your hand up till it bumps your fretboard. Back it up just a hair and try popping there, that should make it so your thumb is slapping the strings on the last couple of frets. Personally if I am slapping and I am ONLY slapping (No Popping) I will slap even further up on the fretboard (15th fret or so) it gives me the best sound, and I can still strum notes.

You can hear a bit of me slapping if you click my name and listen to the song 'All Aboard'.

Happing Slapping.

6. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Thanks for all the info Darkslide,

yeah i when i slap i'm just a 1/2 inch from the end of the fingerboard, when i mute i do use my frethand, i am probably pressing too hard on the strings when i mute - i'll have to practice it alot, because when i start slapping i get really into and pound the strings sometimes...but i'm learning!

As for the drum book thing, i do some snare drum excercises to improve my hand coordination, also i've found that being able to shoot a basketball equally well left or right handed helps alot too. Whatever works i guess!

I did try out the jazz bass, and i did find it easier to slap with, it sounded alot better than my p-bass. I'm going to practice now.

thanks again.

7. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Yeah Darkslide! Your post was enlightening. Bravo.