Trouble with my Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacostilllives, Aug 4, 2004.

1. jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Im having trouble with my ampeg SVT-350H it seems that when i play the tone kinda fades from trebley tone to a more bassy tone back and forth..i was wondering if its trouble with the amp or if its like a speaker cable problem..i just replaced my instrument cable so ive narrowed it down to a speaker cable or the amp is busted itself.....please help :help:
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i would say replace the speker cable (even take the amp to a store and try one of the speaker cables they use on their demo amps to see if that works before buying one)
    other than that it may be the amp
    gotta love st louis music :rolleyes:
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    On all basses? If it's acting up with just an active bass, check the battery.

Also, try another instrument cable of a different brand. Perhaps the plugs on the new one don't fit the jacks on your bass(es) very well. I had this problem when I took my bass into Low Down Sound to try out cabinets...the plug was something slightly smaller than 1/4 in. and it caused me all sorts of problems.

Also, take two short shielded instrument cables (the kind that you use between effects pedals); use one to jumper the effects send/return jacks and the other to jumper the preamp out/power amp input jacks. I've heard that those jacks sometimes cause problems.

Does it misbehave when the Limiter and Graphic EQ are bypassed?

Please keep us posted...
  4. jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    If anyone was wondering it turned out that it was the room that i had the amp in..there was a lot of resistance it seems in the room that i was in. I moved it into another room and it seemed to work fine..weird ehhh
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The new room must have better Feng Shui :D

I'm glad that it was as cheap and easy as all that. Did that amp get any nice jars along the way?
  6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Just curious (missed this thread before)....did it change as you moved around? Or did you stand in one place and it faded in and out?

If you moved around and it changed, you might have had "standing waves" in the room, maybe because it had concrete walls near you, etc. Sound reflects off hard heavy walls (painted concrete or block, old style plaster), but low frequencies go right thru soft ones (drywall).

A room with hard walls can have hot and weak spots, as the sound reflections cancel or add up at particular frequencies. Tends to be more apparent at low frequencies.

If you move the amp, the reflections may change, or as you move around you can be in a hot spot or a weak spot.
  7. jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Yea i was moving around....i just noticed it when the amp was in my garage is started to do glad its nothing serious but thanks for all your help. im guessing your right with the noise going through drywall and cement walls because guess what i have both of those in my who knows along with a bunch of appliances water heaters air conditioners furnaces refrigerators and all in all a bunch of crap in there im not suprised it happened. im glad to know its nothing serious thanks for the help :hyper: