1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trouble with my V-Type...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Irishbass, Oct 10, 2005.

  1. My beloved Trace Elliot V-Type pre-amp went down on me recently, I live in Ireland so this is the 220v unit. I seems that the power transformer is damaged and since TE are no longer manufacturing the V-Type I have been unable to get a replacement in Ireland. The repair shop tells me thay would need a proper circuit diagram (which I dont have) of the unit in order to find out the specs for the transformer and maybe get a generic one or a re-wind done. I am not technical enough to carry out any repairs myself so I am wondering if anyone out there can point me in the right direction? I really love the pre and would hate to just let it go without at least trying everything I can to source the part needed to get it working. Any help appreciated very much....
  2. luknfur


    Jan 14, 2004

    I not into amp repair but can't say I have ever heard anyone mention a power transformer regarding a preamp. That's a power section thing. I'll check with a friend who should know though.

    Anyway, for power sections there are tons of transformers (not cheap cause transformers are usually the more expensive component in the amp and the heart of it) but to my knowledge there is no magic to them any more than tubes. So if they can be replaced in the power section, you should be able to track down what you need and there may be some coding on the exterior to help nail it down. Don't know but I think you stand a good chance. There are plenty of suppliers and people in the know. I'm just not one of them but you should be able to track something down without too much trouble I'd think.

    There's bound to be Trace Elliot forum on the net somwhere and you could post in the amp section asking as much if not find it from a TB search. I would also search and post regarding amp repalcement transformers (in the amp forum). Also general amp forums on the net, vintage audio, etc. (a preamp is basically a preamp no matter what it's in). Your'e bound to run across a Trace Elliot repair fanatic at some point and I'd exhaust the TE angle first. Right now you just need to generate leads and gather info. You've got the part itself and some info on what's involved in repair and that's a good start.
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

    Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

    Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Moved to Amps.
  4. el_Kabong


    Jul 11, 2005
    Years ago I had a V type head, the one with the solid state power amp. I had a problem with it (hum in the DI) and TE sent me a preamp diagram and fix. I'm looking at it, it's labled 'valve preamp circuit V-Type bass series'. It shows the power supply and also makes reference to 'rack mounted unit'. So I'm not sure if it's exactly what you need but I think it's awfully close. If you can't do better I could email you a scan?

    edit: diagram is dated 30/1/1995, there's a UK phone number on it (01621) 851851.
  5. urje


    Sep 13, 2005
    here's a whole bunch of trace schematics: http://www.britishaudioservice.com/trace_manuals_bass.shtml, but i don't know if they're correct. i've got a v-type head (220W valves), and i believe the windings are written on the transformers, so that'll help a lot as well. preamp transformers can't be a big problem if you ask me.
  6. Wesley R

    Wesley R Supporting Member


    This should get you to the transformer section. Generally folks on this site are really helpful and my guess id that they will come to your assitance.

    I hope that I have not violated the rules by recommending another site. I apolagise if that is the case.

    Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  7. Funky Doctor

    Funky Doctor

    Aug 28, 2003
    Any preamp will have a power transformer. It's fundamental to a linear power supply (ie, not switchmode). It's not an output transformer, which is what you may be confusing it with.

    Due to he fact that the Trace V-type may very well be heavily based on an alembic f2-b, it may suffice to say that a generic wound transformer that can power 2 or 3 preamp tubes with the right VA rating (assuming it's supplying the correct B+ voltage) will do the job. I made an f2b-ish (well, ok, it was an exact copy) preamp a few years ago, used a trannie with a high enough power (VA) rating and it has done the job fine.
  8. Thank you to everyone who replied, I think I now have the correct circuit diagram thanks to urje...I hope this will help to get my v-type back up and running....I can get a generic transformer so long as they know the specs of the original !
  9. natrab


    Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I *strongly* recommend emailing Shane at www.britishaudioservice.com

    I know he sells replacement parts (including transformers) and of anyone else he would be the best person to advise you on what to use.