trouble with new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Lover, Sep 7, 2005.

1. I recently purchased used two Mesa/Boogie cabs, a 2x10 with tweeter and a 1x15. They are in road cabinets and weigh a ton but they sounded good. After I got them I had to get a cheap head to tide me over until I can afford something better so I found a worn Crate B150 cheap. It sounded decent with the cabs in the store but the day after I got this home I started hearing some slight and persistant distortion from it all. Do I just need to bite the bullet and get a new head or could it be the cabs? Also, there is a switch on the back of the 2x10. Is this tweeter control or what? Any general info. or opinions on this rig, especially the cabs, is greatly appreciated.

2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Its probably for the tweeter or crossover. What model of Mesa cabs?

Try to isolate the problem by testing out one thing at a time, process of elminiation. I am thinking it might be your ground, but other people might have ideas too. Maybe the battery in your bass needs to be switched out, if its active & kind of old.

Anyway, some people love overdrive in their sound.
  3. Unfortunately I love clean sound. I may kick in the distortion once in a while but I hate having it there all the time. I don't know the model # of the cabs. I don't think the road cases are original but I am not sure.
  4. Also, I have tried it with both of my basses, active and passive, with the same result.