trouble with nuts, i over carved it

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chalie, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I would need your advice for fixing the plastic nuts of my bass guitar.
    I over carved the D string just by little and need to fill it up again and wonder how to do best.
    Since it is very little to do so I use the cyno glue for that instead of epoxy but I don't think it will last.
    Please advice.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All the repair guys use super glue.
  3. do you think that will last
  4. Jimmy is right. Super glue, in the simplest of terms, is liquid acrylic plastic - similar to the nut itself. If you want to build up the slot, you can tape off the front and back of the slot and fill it with a gel glue. It will cure and shrink back a bit but that will usually give you enough filler to replace what was taken out. If you want to color the material in the slot, you can make a powder from sanding some similar plastic and fill the slot with that. Then use a water thin super glue dropped in the slot. The glue will solidify around the powder and make a solid colored material to match up with your nut.
  5. Dear Hambone, its seem to be a very professional method next to renewal the nuts.
    Mine is too leittle to do anything beside the cyno glue filling but I am just concern it's life that all. I fix my other basses with thin copper sheet or part of drinking straw glued it on in the slot.
    Hope the gule itself last long enought.
    Thanks guys.. :hyper:
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've got a couple nuts plugged with Super glue years ago and it's still holding. Super Glue actually melts into the plastic it's bonded to, so that's why it holds.
  7. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've heard of using baking soda as a filler wirh cyano.
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    baking soda mixed with super glue will work. or just straight super glue. you still have to sand, so overcompensate.

i also found, that if the nut is cut to wide of to low, you can use a small peice of a business card could also do the trick. i had a nut problem with my music man, and i used the super glue thing and it worked out well as an emergency repair.

also. on my first p-bass, it had 105's on it, and the 105's were loose at the nut, when i put the 100's on it, they rattled like woah. took a tiny peice of business card and blam. worked great.
  9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I used to use two part epoxy to build up the plastic on the instep of my inline hockey skates. The plastic would get worn down from hockey style stops on concrete. I would build up layers of epoxy until it was back to the original thickness.
    I'm going to try this on my G&L because no matter how high I set the action I still get frett buzz fron the first fret. The bass is 20 years old and has the original nut. This epoxy stuff is pretty strong and just might do the trick. I'll try it tonight and post my results.
  10. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Be careful with epoxy. Epoxy, especially the two tube kind that you get in the hdwr store. epoxy is strong but the surface isn't very hard. the string has to slip through the notch smoothly in order to tune smoothly. The string winding will imprint into the epoxy and the tuning will be very jerky.
  11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Thanks pkr2,
    Maybe I will try the crazy glue thing first.