Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trouble with the chat...

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by thrash_jazz, Apr 22, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    When I try to log in to the chat, the window freezes probably 80% of the time. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

2. I only have that problem when I'm at work, then I can't get in at all. I suspect it's the firewall.

Lisa

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I log in from work too. I'm told it's a problem with Java compatibility.:mad:

4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    What browser and OS are you using (and browser version number if you have it)?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, we use 1.1.8 at work, and the chat will not work with that Java version.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    We're using WinBlows 2000; I believe that that uses Microsoft IE 5.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, Paul - remember the wierdness I was having with the chat awhile back, where none of the blue box showed? All better now, ever since I went from W98 to W2KPro. Strange.

8. I can't access the chatroom either from work. I run Win 2000 and the latest IE. I'm sure it is the firewall, though. At home I don't havce any problems running the chat room.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Update to Java 1.31(?) or higher.

Sun's java machine doesn't work too well though IME. I switched back to the Microsoft Java.

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I get a problem with chat everytime it happens. My BellSouth DSL is for crap, really, and when it disconnects me while I'm in chat, I just reconnect to the DSL and log in again to the chat.

BUT when I log in, it still says my username is in the chatroom and already being used. Doesnt my username log out of the chat once I lose connection?

It gets me angry because some times I'm in the middle of a convo and then I won't be able to log back in immediately but like 20 minutes later once the JAVA server refreshes itself or whatever it does.

:mad:

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i dun have neproblems with the chat:D

bp13