Trouble with treble

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by onZ, Apr 22, 2004.

1. onZ

Apr 15, 2004
    Holland, The Hague
    I replaced my Warwick Rockbass (Corvette SE) pick-ups with SD Hot Jazz pick-ups (sjb-2n and sjb-2b). The MEC active electronics are still in place. It's almost working perfectly. Lots of bass, great sound. The only trouble: I can't mix almost no treble in the sound. Is this the way it's supposed to be, or is the potmeter not functioning right.
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    While this might not be the source of all of your trouble, you choice of pickups has probably impacted the treble response of your bass. Generally speaking, a hotter pickup is the result of more wingings. The more windings you add to a pickup coil, the more you emphasize the bass and midrange (particularly mids). Treble frequencies are not as crisp, clean, and prevalent on a pickup that has been overwound, and this is probably contributing to your perceived dip in high-end response. As long as nothing else is wrong, I'd guess that by going with a standard/underwould pickup would get you back to where you need to be.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For what it's worth:

I've got set of Duncans: hot P and J hotstack - you can shoot treble through the roof. Different pups but the hotstack may be a replacement option for you. However, A set of J's that don't produce adequate treble sounds very suspicious. You should be able to tell if the pot is working or not - if it doens't alter tone - it's not. You can put a meter on it if you have any doubts. You could run the pups passive and see if it has anything to do with the preamp but that's unlikely I'd think. You can drop the pup away from the bass side and raise them to the treble and see if that helps - or adjust the strings accordlingly (and then intonation of course). A change of strings may help for that matter. I have found changing pot sizes to make little to no difference. You could also wire capacitors into the harness to cut treble bleed. It could be you've got plenty of treble output, it's just all bleeding off. I always start with the easiest, cheapest, least invasive, reverseable procedure to make any alterations.
  4. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I think your MEC preamp is intended for active pickups (like the MEC Gold set you had). If you plug high impedance passive pickups to your preamp, the treble will drop out.
  5. onZ

Apr 15, 2004
    Holland, The Hague
    Thnx for your replies. I've taken the bass to the luthier for repair. It's to difficult for me.