1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

troubles with Direct Out w/ Mesa Bass 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickname, Apr 6, 2006.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    My current setup is using the Direct Out from my Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ to the Mixer, and then to the 8 Track. The problem is that even when my levels on my amp are set super low, and the pre on the mixer is set super low, the input seems to be coming in super hot and gets distorted. My amp is set to volume at 2 and master at 2. any lower and you can't hear the bass. The pre is set at like hardly turned on.

Am I doing something wrong? is there a better way to do this? I could try the XLR Direct out from the amp to a 1/4" TRS and just bypass the mixer? Would that help?

Another Option would to be, go from the Direct Out on the Amp to my Focusrite TrakMaster Pro Pre-Amp and then to the 8 Track?

Suggestions?

Thanks Guys!@

Regards,
    Nick

2. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    the 400+ has a notoriously hot output, i think it would distort the input on your 8 track as well plugged straight in, i would guess the Focusrite first could help.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Sounds like your mixer input channel is set for a mic level signal, (this is line level) I use the 400+ balanced (XLR) output to record, I have to boost the signal quite a bit befor hitting tape. This output signal has gone through the pre and power amp, and will never be super clean. The 400+ has 2 other (preamp only) line outs, slave and the f/x loop send jack. Slave out gives you a handy volume knob for adjusting the level of this output. Try all these outputs, and all your preamps, find the signal chain that works best, for the sound your after. Bass is tough to record well, use your best gear for the bass track. Dont rule out trying all your mic/preamps as well and mixing the two.

4. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    so i should be using an XLR to 1/4" instead of an XLR to an XLR ?

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Yes (maybe) Does your mixer have both xlr and 1/4 inputs for each channel? Do your mixer channels have a switch to change the input from mic to line levels. Line level is a much hotter signal than mic level. what ever mixer/pre you use, you need to get the device working at line level by what ever means avalible. By switches, volume knobs or by where you plug the input in.

6. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    No! 1/4" unbalanced is a festival of noise, and 1/4" balances is the same thing as XLR, just on a crappier connector! Just get an appropriate XLR to XLR inline pad to drop the level to what you need.

- Tim