1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Troubles with truss rod and action on my last bass!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Triad, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Triad

Triad Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier - Prometeus Guitars
    Hi! I've finished my 4th build some days ago and I'm having some troubles with the strings buzz. The bass has heavy buzzing on all strings from 4th-5th fret to 10th one. Both nut and bridge are set at the right height... you'd tell it needs more relief, right? This is what I was thinking too. It's a 34" scale (set-in) and the neck is quarter-sawn Ovangkol. Pretty thick (almost 1"+8mm of fingerboard). I've used a 2ways truss rod but even if I try to get a relief with it the fingerboard bends in the wrong area (from the 3th-4th fret) and there's no gap on the 12th fret. The truss rod starts right under the 1th fret and it has the nut on the heel of the bass. So these are my ideas...

1) Neck too thick in the 12th fret area and the strings and rod can't bend it;
    2) The truss rod should have been placed starting from the 3th fret?!
    3) I've been a war criminal in my previous life and God is simply giving me what I deserve :D

Any idea? TIA.

2. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Honestly, it sounds like the frets weren't properly leveled. Straighten that neck out and take a straight-edge to it. Are the 4th-10th frets lower than the other frets on the neck?

3. +1 jon, but it might be no. 3 as well. You can't always rule out the improbable.
    Me, I'd do a fret level. Use the trick with a marker pen on the frets and a block of wood wrapped in 800 grit to see where the marker fets rubbed off first = all the high spots.

4. Triad

Triad Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier - Prometeus Guitars
    A fret dress is the first thing I did yesterday... it's not a solution. It looks like the frets are good. But when I turn the rod counter-clockwise the neck bows in the wrong place. Strange.
    I'm probably going to make the neck thinner in the area as it's very think from mid to end. But I wanted some thought about this before I thin the neck.