1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Troubleshoot my Groove Regulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Downunderwonder, Mar 31, 2013.

1. First show after I took my pedal board to bits and put back. It cuts out my entire signal when engaged in the loop of my BDDI deluxe, when toggled off the other effects in the loop function per normal.

I checked it is connected properly. Out of distortion goes to in of GR etc. So there must be some fault. It's pure silence, no crackling or anything unusual aside from dead air when it's on. It has power, LED comes on.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    How are you powering all of the pedals?

3. Off a Dunlop brick, 9V not 18V!

4. Tuner and BDDI are running off a 1spot type, same as before.

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Try running the GR off a separate wall-wart from the others. Whether that fixes the problem, or doesn't, will indicate the next steps to take.

6. Thanks, will do later tonight. The power supply is exact same as it was before I rearranged the board so I don't see what swapping will show, but if I had all the answers I wouldn't be asking!

7. Grrr, it works now, same connections, same adaptors used.

1st I triple checked the in/out. Then I pulled it out and connected it with a different adpator solo per Bongoman's proceeedure. It worked.

Then I put it all back and it still works.

We're on 240V here, I never heard of dodgy power until I joined TB, so I seriously doubt there's anything wrong wrong the venue power, and we played there before.

Nuts.

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    There are some circuits that can "act broken" in response to a large spike or drop of voltage, or other power fault, which can later reset themselves and act like nothing was ever wrong.

It's not like I'm remotely sure that's what happened here, but it's a possibility.

9. That is sort of possible as I powered up the main amp, on the same circuit, after the effects. It's not like we ever do an Apollo13 powering up check.

10. Oh well, it goes, I suppose I wait for it to crap out again, hopefully not in the middle of a command performance.

11. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Does it work if you use a battery? That's the first thing I would try.

12. It works with the adaptor, now, but it killed my signal on my last gig. I double triple checked all the connections before I took the board apart and now it works fine when put back exactly as it was.

Do I still need to try it on a battery?

13. Here's how it went down.

I selected GR and chorus, hit the BDDI deluxe patch with the FX loop "on". NADA.

I scrambled to check connections. Good. So I turned off GR and all of a sudden I had chorus. So I left GR out for the rest of the gig.

14. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    I can't explain it. If it happens again, make a note of what your setup was like when it stopped working and shoot me an email.

15. Thanks, will do.