Troubleshooting a problem in Adobe Audition

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by matthewbrown, Jan 20, 2021.

1. I am recording using a Scarlett 2i2 and Adobe Audition, with a mono instrument mic. For some reason, now, when I fill the right channel with the left, the output volume drops significantly. If I mute one side, it restores the volume to its original level. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What does this mean? If you're recording a mono signal then both sides of your stereo mixbuss should be receiving identical levels. Are you recording a mono signal to a stereo track?

3. I'm recording onto the left track. Then I have been filling the right channel with the left. Weirdly, I now hear the right channel thru both sides of my headphones on playback with only the right side in place. Then after I have filled the left with the recorded signal, I hear it at normal volume with only one side enabled for playback. Very strange...

4. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Right, but what does "filling the track" mean. As a professional audio engineer that's not a term I've ever heard used, so I'm struggling to understand what you're saying.

If it's a mono signal and you're "recording to the left track" (to quote you) it sounds like you're recording in mono onto a stereo track. If by "filling the track" you mean duplicating your recorded audio and panning it opposite the stereo track you recorded onto as a means of creating a mono track (i.e. identical information hard panned left and right), but the result is less volume rather than more, the obvious answer is that there is a phase correlation problem between the two tracks. Skip all of the mucking about and just record onto a mono track instead.

matthewbrown likes this.
  5. Thanks for the clarification! I was wondering if it was phase cancelling, but since it hadn't been happening the first few times around, I was unsure.

In Audition, under "Effects" there is the "Channel Mixing" window, and the command you can find there is "fill L with R" or "fill R with L" so that's what I called it. As you can tell, I'm a complete newbie at this, and your help has been hugely valuable, since I'm teaching myself with videos and software tutorials. I'm thinking of trying Skillshare classes. Have you heard anything about them either good or bad?

6. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting. When I first started in audio engineering, which would have been about 15 years ago if memory serves, the first DAW I used was Audition. I switched to Logic around 2007 and have never looked back. Filling left from right, and vice versa is an odd term. It's been so long since I've touched Audition that I'm not sure what DAW-specific concept they're getting at with that term, but it still sounds to me like it's trying to compensate for a mono source on a stereo track. Can you create a mono track and record to that? Does that solve the issue?

We all start somewhere!

I'm familiar with Skillshare but have never watched any of their products. I'm sure there are tons of Audition tutorial series on YouTube, and if not you may consider switching to one of the more popular DAWs that have more readily available user-generated product support videos.